Flight review -

jnmeade

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Meade
Suppose a pilot rated for ASEL decides to let his medical lapse and fly under Sport Pilot rules in an LSA.
For the purposes of a flight review, can that pilot take the 61.56 flight review in an airplane such as a Warrior or 172 (can't be PIC, of course)?

"(1) Accomplished a flight review given in an aircraft for which that pilot is rated by an authorized instructor and"

Does the rating stand alone or does pilot have to hold a current appropriate medical? I'm guessing the Sport Pilot who holds a certificate that says ASEL can take the review in a Warrior (or TBM 750) but cannot be PIC. The instructor would be PIC.

Corrections, additions, deletions?

For that matter, can a person with a pilots certificate but no medical - say it was revoked - take the flight review in an aircraft for which s/he is rated? You may ask, why anyone would do that but the practicality isn't my question, the legality is.

This question just popped in my head so don't get too wrapped around the axle on it. I know it is unlikely to happen to anyone.

Suppose a pilot rated for ASEL decides to let his medical lapse and fly under Sport Pilot rules in an LSA.
For the purposes of a flight review, can that pilot take the 61.56 flight review in an airplane such as a Warrior or 172 (can't be PIC, of course)?
Yes, because those are ASEL's, and the pilot is rated in them. And yes, the instructor will have to be PIC, which means the instructor must have a current medical.

Does the rating stand alone or does pilot have to hold a current appropriate medical?
No medical required as long as the instructor is fully qualified to act as PIC for this training flight.

I'm guessing the Sport Pilot who holds a certificate that says ASEL can take the review in a Warrior (or TBM 750) but cannot be PIC. The instructor would be PIC.
No. The Sport Pilot who holds only a Sport Pilot certificate is not "rated" for anything that isn't an LSA.

For that matter, can a person with a pilots certificate but no medical - say it was revoked - take the flight review in an aircraft for which s/he is rated?
What happened to the medical isn't important -- the pilot can take a flight review in any aircraft in which the pilot is rated. The flight review will allow the pilot to re-exercise his/her pilot privileges after s/he gets his/her medical back.

I meant the person exercising Sport Pilot privileges but rated in ASEL through prior private or higher certificate, but didn't phrase it correctly. You answered it in the third section as it was (mis)stated, so I understand what you are saying.

I meant the person exercising Sport Pilot privileges but rated in ASEL through prior private or higher certificate,
Just to make absolutely certain, I want to make sure of what you mean by "prior...certificate."

A person who holds a PP-ASEL may use it to exercise Sport Pilot-ASEL privileges, and doesn't need a separate Sport Pilot certificate to do so. That person can take a flight review in a non-LSA aircraft. However, if that person no longer holds a PP certificate (e.g., it was revoked and then a Sport Pilot certificate was earned later, or the PP was surrendered in exchance for a Sport Pilot certificate), then that person is no longer rated for non-LSA aircraft, and can't take a flight review in a non-LSA aircraft.

I've become completely confused by the posts and I even know the answer to the original question! :D

Because of the reference to medical lapsing, figured that you were talking about at least a private pilot.

So the answer, of course, is yes. It's a private pilot ASEL doing a flight review in a ASEL.
For that matter, can a person with a pilots certificate but no medical - say it was revoked - take the flight review in an aircraft for which s/he is rated? You may ask, why anyone would do that but the practicality isn't my question, the legality is.
Of course it's legal. Having or not having a medical certificate has nothing to do with taking a flight review.

Back