Flight Review without Medical in non LSA.

bluesideup

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
bluesideup
Hi everyone.
Can a CFI give a valid, and legal, Flight Review in a non LSA, i.e. C172, to another CFI / P. pilot?
Thanks, TV

Hi everyone.
Can a CFI give a valid, and legal, Flight Review in a non LSA, i.e. C172, to another CFI / P. pilot?
Thanks, TV
I've been taking my BFRs in C172/Warriors since I let my medical lapse ~8 years ago.

There was some concern the first time (which was right after the regs came out), but all the BFRs since then have been no issue.

Not sure if there are any special clauses covering CFIs receiving BFRs, though.

Ron Wanttaja

Hi everyone.
Thanks, TV
One of the two is going to have to hold a valid medical and act as the PIC for the flight, i.e., one of them will have to hold both a valid medical and a current flight review. So, if the pilot receiving the review is out of flight review currency, and the CFI giving the review doesn't hold a valid medical, neither can act as PIC so it doesn't work. Further, if the CFI giving the review is the one without a valid medical, there cannot be any simulated instrument flight involved no matter which of the two is acting as PIC since a safety pilot for simulated instrument flight must hold a valid medical.

Hi gentlemen.
The CFI giving the review has the Medical and current, the other CFI has no medical and out of review window by a calendar month.
My understanding is that the CFI without the Medical cannot log PIC in the C172, but the dual should count as a legal Flight review for the non medical CFI? TV

Hi gentlemen.
The CFI giving the review has the Medical and current, the other CFI has no medical and out of review window by a calendar month.
Then it's completely legal as long as the CFI giving the review is acting as PIC.

My understanding is that the CFI without the Medical cannot log PIC in the C172,
Your understanding is incorrect. See 14 CFR 61.51(e)(1)(i). Since by 14 CFR 61.56(c)(1) one must be "rated" in the aircraft to receive a flight review in that aircraft, the no-medical CFI receiving the flight review must be "rated" and therefore can legally log PIC time during the review even though s/he is not legal to act as PIC. This difference in the rules between being the PIC and logging PIC time is somewhat confusing, but is well-established in aviation law.

but the dual should count as a legal Flight review for the non medical CFI?
Yes, it is completely legal for someone rated in an aircraft but not qualified to act as PIC to receive a flight review and log the time as PIC time as long as the instructor giving the flight review is fully PIC-qualified and acting as PIC for the flight.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back