Flight Review/Transition/Check Out

evapilotaz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Drone airspace abuser
Is this a wise thing to do? I want to do transition training in a Piper Archer 181, flight review and check out at a FBO I never flown with. All of my time has been on C172 during my PPL. I do have some time in C152 and a Grumman Tiger but that was a while ago. My flight review is not due until July but I just want to reset the clock since I'm already doing the Checkout and transition training.
Kind of killing several birds with one stone. I'm scheduled with a CFI on 3/21. This will give me some time to brush up on some stuff and read over the Archer POH.

Should I just break this up and do the Transition Checkout now and do my Flight review in July?

Thanks my Pilot Friends.

Sure, why not?

It's not at all a hard transition.

Just make sure the instructor knows you want a flight review, 'cause it's not automatic like a new rating.

You could also make it into a big chunk of a WINGS phase pretty easily.

If it were me, I'd do the flight review separately just because it's still months away. Or the WINGS thing counts when the phase is complete (you may need a seminar or two to finish it off), which might be a nice vehicle to delay it.

I did my checkout for rental and a Flight Review on the same flight a short time ago. Nothing wrong with saving a few bucks. Just make sure the CFI knows what you want to do.

Is this a wise thing to do? I want to do transition training in a Piper Archer 181, flight review and check out at a FBO I never flown with. All of my time has been on C172 during my PPL. I do have some time in C152 and a Grumman Tiger but that was a while ago. My flight review is not due until July but I just want to reset the clock since I'm already doing the Checkout and transition training.
Kind of killing several birds with one stone. I'm scheduled with a CFI on 3/21. This will give me some time to brush up on some stuff and read over the Archer POH.

Should I just break this up and do the Transition Checkout now and do my Flight review in July?

Thanks my Pilot Friends.

I thought transitioning from a C172/162 -> Cherokee/Archer would be somewhat challenging and/or require some work, but really, it just took a flight or two with a CFI for me to get comfortable. I could have just done the one flight, but did a couple since I ended up buying my Cherokee heh..

Just make sure you get that sight picture down on approach and landing. The tendency for low-time Cherokee/Archer pilots (I've read and experienced) is to over flare, bounce out of ground effect and come down hard on the mains. I only had one landing like that, and granted it was in a Turbo Arrow IV, not a Cherokee, but same difference.

You'll love the Archer, so much better view on approach, handles nicely and looks purty :)

I'm already going to pay for 90 minutes ground and 90 minutes air time with this FBO either way. That is their default block time with Aircraft and CFI with this type of training. I just want to get it all done and not have to think about it until 2018.

I let the FBO know I want to do Both. If it takes two flights that is ok. I scheduled it three weeks out to prepare myself. Unfortunately I do not have anything else to fly until then.

I let the FBO know I want to do Both. If it takes two flights that is ok. I scheduled it three weeks out to prepare myself. Unfortunately I do not have anything else to fly until then.

I would still try to get hold of the CFI let him know. As a courtesy so there's no surprises. 90 minutes ground and flight should be sufficient.

Go for it and get it done in one swoop!

If you can fly a Grumman AA5 you should not have any troubles with anything in the PA28 line, all else fails instead of spending 1hr in the air for the BFR, you might end up with 1.5, which you have to pay for anyway, your plan seems like a good idea to me.

Just do like you said, read up on the POH, make sure to tell your CFI of your plans prior to the flight, have fun!

Go for the two for one,the archer should be an easy transition.

Get the BFR. You're probably going to cover everything and you'll just need to do some ground.

Easy transition. A friend of mine, new PPL who trained in 172's, flew my cherokee from the right seat and had perfect landings - his first time in a PA28. He did so well we swapped and I flew from the right seat - definitely an experience but again non-event.

Back