Flight Review Questions

GilligansRodeo

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Gilligans Rodeo
Hi, first post. Been out of the game for 20+ years, and thinking about getting back in. Considering limiting myself to sport pilot privileges for now (not eligible for BasicMed), although LSA training appears NA locally.

Am I right in thinking that I can train in and hopefully complete the flight review process in familiar C172 and Cherokees so long as the CFI flies as PIC? If so, what flight standards would I likely need to satisfy to fulfill the flight review requirement? I hold a commercial certificate with an expired CFII (roughly 350 hours TT). Should I be anticipating commercial/instrument standards?

Apologies for the dumb questions - and I know I’ll be discussing this with my CFI once I begin - I have been away too long.

Thanks

Am I right in thinking that I can train in and hopefully complete the flight review process in familiar C172 and Cherokees so long as the CFI flies as PIC?
Yup. Even if you had a medical the CFI would be PIC since you do not have a current flight review.

"For a satisfactory flight review, the pilot should be able to perform all maneuvers in accordance with the ACS or PTS, as applicable, for the pilot certificate that he or she holds" AC 61-98D

Thanks Capt! Guess I’ll need to start recollecting my chandelles and 8s on pylons—in addition to all the basics that I’ve likely forgotten—and budgeting more for the process. Not a bad thing (to the extent my wife agrees).

Cheers

Thanks Capt! Guess I’ll need to start recollecting my chandelles and 8s on pylons—in addition to all the basics that I’ve likely forgotten—and budgeting more for the process. Not a bad thing (to the extent my wife agrees).

Cheers
If you were to do a flight review with me, we basically do an abbreviated checkride (plus a few extras you may not have done) for your highest rating. Unless of course there's a lot more oxide on your ticket in which case we may have to do a couple lessons.

Thanks Ed. There’s a decent layer of oxide and dust on my ticket so I think I’m going to be looking at a mini-course. I’m assuming my present intentions of exercising sport privileges only wouldn’t lessen your flight review requirements/ expectations as CFI, since the sign off would still approve me to exercise all the privileges of my commercial ticket.

Thanks Ed. There’s a decent layer of oxide and dust on my ticket so I think I’m going to be looking at a mini-course. I’m assuming my present intentions of exercising sport privileges only wouldn’t lessen your flight review requirements/ expectations as CFI, since the sign off would still approve me to exercise all the privileges of my commercial ticket.

Nope. You're still a commercial pilot, but just exercising sport privileges. Still want to see you live up to your max.

And as a not-sport-pilot-certificate pilot exercising sport pilot privileges there are a handful of things you can to that an actual sport-pilot-certificate pilot can't. Just to confuse the issue.

Back