Flight Review Ground School Question...

BrianNC

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
BrianATL
I haven't flown in a few years and got an email from AOPA concerning their 'Rusty Pilot' seminar and I am going to attend it in the Atlanta area this weekend.

"The Rusty Pilots program is developed by AOPA in partnership with local flight training providers in order to create the best environment for getting you back in the air and a part of the general aviation community."

I have a question about this part:

"Participate in Rusty Pilots and you've fulfilled the ground instruction required of the flight review!"

First of all, is this 'flight review' referring to the ground portion of a BFR (or is it even called that any more)?

Second, how long is this good for before one completes the flight portion? It may be a few months before I could actually do the flight portion.

It's a "Flight Review".

Sounds like the Rusty Pilots seminar was built to comply with the 1hr ground portion of the flight review. Needs to be taught by an instructor and an endorsement or certificate of completion provided.

I did not see a time limit between ground and flight portion. That would be up to the instructor completing the flight portion. If it's been more than a few years since you've flown, it may take a few flights to get proficient for the instructor to sign off the endorsement.

Look at 14 CFR 61.56

It's a "Flight Review".

Sounds like the Rusty Pilots seminar was built to comply with the 1hr ground portion of the flight review. Needs to be taught by an instructor and an endorsement or certificate of completion provided.

I did not see a time limit between ground and flight portion. That would be up to the instructor completing the flight portion. If it's been more than a few years since you've flown, it may take a few flights to get proficient for the instructor to sign off the endorsement.

Look at 14 CFR 61.56

Oh yeah, it will definitely take more than an hour flying if I try to regain instrument proficiency too being instrument rated. If I just want to get back in the air, maybe one hour, but probably 2 or 3 just for my own comfort.

First, yes, they are referring to the 61.56 "flight review." The word "biennial" was dropped form the reg a long time ago.

There's no specific guidance I'm aware of on the time a flight review needs to be completed. I would be more than comfortable with a few months, especially since a WINGS phase (to substitute for a FR) can be accomplished over the course of a year.

I'd recommend doing WINGS itself since you know it's going to take a few flights covering different things anyway, but a "rusty pilot" program has the advantage of targeting the knowledge items pilot generally lose when away from flying. You can do that with WINGS also, but you'd have to find and select the seminars and online programs that meet your needs. Of course, you can do that anyway to target specific knowledge areas, especially on the IFR end.

Back