Flight review after long gap

davef22

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
Hi All,
I got my private license back in 2014 and my license has expired. Not been able to fly as well. I am planning on getting my flight review done and maybe log some hours towards CPL. Is it possible to get the flight review done on a 172 when my flying experience (95 hrs) has been on a 152 ?

You can get the fight review done in any aircraft (category) that you are rated for (Single Engine Land presumably). This is the FAA legal answer. You can use any aircraft of this class that a CFI and insurance company agree to use. This is the practical answer.

A C-172 would be fine. You may need a little extra time to get used to it, although after your layoff probably won’t matter.

First of all your license didn't expire, you're just not current. Single engine land, the 172 and 152 fit that description so yes it is possible. Just go up with an instructor until you're comfortable then said instructor can sign your flight review off.

Hi All,
I got my private license back in 2014 and my license has expired. Not been able to fly as well. I am planning on getting my flight review done and maybe log some hours towards CPL. Is it possible to get the flight review done on a 172 when my flying experience (95 hrs) has been on a 152 ?

Yes. Enjoy the room in the cockpit. Other than that the differences are small. Just doing the usual Flight review stuff will get you in touch with the 172 pretty quick

^^^ and piling on with @Timbeck2 -- While your PPL certificate doesn't expire, your medical may have. That's probably a better consideration for you then which plane you're going to do some dual in.

Thanks guys! Yes I will look into my medicals as well. Another question..with regards to working towards my commercial. Can I log all the needed X-country hours on the 152 and just few on the 172?
I am trying to find some wording on what is needed for the commercial. Technically I need to have hours on a complex aircraft and can't just get a CPL on a 152 right?

What the others said, also IMO C152 and 172s are basically interchangeable, and boarder on being a bad trainer due to them being too forgiving.

You really should switch to the 172. I have nothing against 152s, did my PPL in one as well. Flying got to be a lot more fun in different aircraft.

Agreed but trying to save $$ :). That's why I want to do my flight-review in a 172 instead of getting the flight-review done on a 152 and then go get training on a 172.

Another question..with regards to working towards my commercial. Can I log all the needed X-country hours on the 152 and just few on the 172?
I am trying to find some wording on what is needed for the commercial. Technically I need to have hours on a complex aircraft and can't just get a CPL on a 152 right?

When reading the requirements for something like the Commercial, you'll see that the regulations just talk about "airplanes" (category) and "single-engine land" (class) a lot. A 152 and 172 are both the same category and class, so you can mix and match your hours in them (or any other single-engine land airplanes) however you like.

The same goes for a Flight Review. You can do it in anything that matches category and class. So yeah, use your FR time to check out in a new aircraft! That's a very popular way to economize your training dollars!

Yes, the Commercial also calls for a certain number of training hours in a complex. But the rest of it can be in anything (category and class). Also know that the rules for the "complex" are about to change, so as to include "technically advanced aircraft" as a possibility.

Back