Flight Recording

mulligan

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mulligan
As I get close to my solo, I would like to video the flight for both visual and sound. Can anyone recommend a good setup where I can maybe hookup a GoPro and record video and sound?

I watch many videos on YouTube and see that there are some good cockpit setups that capture radio traffic as well and am looking for something like that.

Also, beyond solo, check ride would be nice to record but wonder if DPEs frown on this for liability purposes.

I doubt the DPE will want the ride on film with sound. You could be putting extra pressure on yourself. Once you tape it any mistakes are recorded .

I think it's a good idea since you can go back and see where you made mistakes and figure out what you should have done instead (but I agree that your DPE likely won't allow it), my CFI doesn't care that I record my flights.

I'm pretty sure there's a cable that connects from your headset directly into the GoPro for audio.

Having video and audio of all of your flights is a fantastic debriefing tool. Any instructor or examiner worth their salt should fully support such safety and learning tools for every flight. If they don't, get another one. It's your money, and your training.

Here's the link for the audio adapter you need for your GoPro.

Last edited:
Leave the gadgets at home until you're done training.

You haven't soloed yet and your filling up your cockpit with nonessential "stuff"? First thing you should "get" is a competent solo student, then "get" a newly minted Private Pilot, and then start getting gadgets.

You're not the first to ask this question and, people selling stuff aside, the consensus is to keep it simple.

I use one of Shane's audio adapters in combination with my Hero 3+ Black.
It works great and is nicely made.
I recorded the audio in this video with it:
http://youtu.be/v-LiT03gBCc
(I mixed in the engine nose from another camera)

Be aware, though, that not all GoPro models have an external audio connector.

I think video is fine for review, but my attitude is like with many of the things that can be shared on the Internet, why post your own rope.

Back