Flight Planning: Deer Valley (KDVT) to Cleburne (KCPT)

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
My dad is going to fly our Cherokee 140 from Arizona (KDVT) to Cleburne, Texas (KCPT) to see my grandpa (long flight in a Cherokee I know - my grandpa's cancer is back so my dad thought this would be a cool opportunity to get out there and fly the new plane!). I won't be going with him on this flight, but he has asked me to help him plan the flight. I have looked at several routes, one of the recommended being KDVT PXR V16 TOTEC V94 SICUM KCPT (got this from SkyVector/ForeFlight). This looks to be nice route and is actually not much slower than direct. Big decision would be where to pick up fuel (50 gallon tanks - 7 gph - this assumes he fills all the way up and not to the tabs which is 36 gallons).

Anyways, just wondering if you guys had any feedback, recommendations, etc.

Lemme lookup the correct routing I took from Glendale (KGEU) to Fort Worth (my airport is some 30nm North of KCPT).

We kept South of all the White Sands 'areas' and made 2 fuel stops.

You might consider KFWS (Fort Worth Spinks) as a destination as well. More services available. But CPT has really low fuel prices.

My dad is going to fly our Cherokee 140 from Arizona (KDVT) to Cleburne, Texas (KCPT) to see my grandpa (long flight in a Cherokee I know - my grandpa's cancer is back so my dad thought this would be a cool opportunity to get out there and fly the new plane!). I won't be going with him on this flight, but he has asked me to help him plan the flight. I have looked at several routes, one of the recommended being KDVT PXR V16 TOTEC V94 SICUM KCPT (got this from SkyVector/ForeFlight). This looks to be nice route and is actually not much slower than direct. Big decision would be where to pick up fuel (50 gallon tanks - 7 gph - this assumes he fills all the way up and not to the tabs which is 36 gallons).

Anyways, just wondering if you guys had any feedback, recommendations, etc.
Getting cool enough that full tanks would probably be a good idea. However, a stop every 3 hours or so (or less) is highly recommended for anyone with grey hair.
(*grins*)
Is he comfortable flying 3-4 hours at a time? As you know, eastbound is always faster than west bound (welcome to the winds)

Lemme lookup the correct routing I took from Glendale (KGEU) to Fort Worth (my airport is some 30nm North of KCPT).

We kept South of all the White Sands 'areas' and made 2 fuel stops.

You might consider KFWS (Fort Worth Spinks) as a destination as well. More services available. But CPT has really low fuel prices.

Thanks that would be useful info. Yea you guys are right that it would probably be best to make maybe 2 fuel stops. Maybe one at KDMN and one at KBPG or something.

Try Airnav.com They will give you routes with fuel stops based on your preferences and fuel prices. Then choose from those to do your planning.

Try Airnav.com They will give you routes with fuel stops based on your preferences and fuel prices. Then choose from those to do your planning.

Oh wow cool I will check that out!

Nevermind. I did that on their website. Doesn't account for navaids or airspace or anything else. Doesn't work for my purposes.

Back