Flight planner questions/recommendations

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by Matthew, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Matthew

Matthew Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Matthew
    I've used Golden Eagle and AOPA RTFP.

I keep it simple, and don't use either to their full capabilities.

However, I'm trying to find out if there is a way to draw a 'range circle' on either. Basically, it would be nothing more than a way of saying 'draw a circle representing xxxNM radius, centered on yyy'.

Does anybody know if these FPs can do this? Are there any others out there that can?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Darrell111

Darrell111 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Darrell111
    I cant think of one that does.. IS there something specific that you are trying to accomplish? Is this for the 50nm X-country distance requirement?

3. GMascelli

GMascelli En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    GaryM
    I don't think the AOPA planner will provide that option, then again not sure about golden eagle either. I do use the AOPA program with the recent upgrade. http://www.aopa.org/flight_planner/rtfpUpgrade.html

I used an old sectional chart and drew a 50m radius around my home airport. Copy it and blow it up, keep it handy while planning.

4. Matthew

Display Name:

Display name:
    Matthew
    Nahh, just for playing 'what if'. Like 'what if I could afford to fly somewhere - what airports are within xxx miles?'. I've used some things like AOPA airport directory and AirNav to list airports within xxxNM. But I'd rather see the circle on the chart. It's easier to spot any airspace routing issues.

The alternative is to draw a circle on a sectional, like GMascelli, which is essentially what I've been doing.

We did something similar for a driving vacation a long time ago. Took a map, drew a circle that represented approx 8-10hrs in the car, then pretty much closed our eyes and pointed.

5. Darrell111

Darrell111 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Darrell111
    Well i use Aeroplanner.com You do have to pay for this one but it plots out and TFR's and list airpaces you have to watch out for like MOA's whatever. To me this is the easiest one to use, maybe because im use to it.

6. EtherAviator

EtherAviator Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mike H.
    Matthew,

You might try AdventurePilot.com
    http://www.adventurepilot.com/

It's free, and they have a feature where you can search for "places to go" based upon entering an airport and search radius, which seems what you really want to do.

7. ausrere

ausrere Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lisa
    Don't most of the planners have a "range" view on the display of charts? I like Voyager FreeFlight. It'll display the chart with all the airspace designations on any range you specify. It doesn't draw a circle though, and I haven't tried printing a certain range.

8. Matthew

Display Name:

Display name:
    Matthew
    Thanks,

I'd seen this before, I just forgot about it. This will give me some of the things I'm looking for. I think it shows a map and highlights the airports it finds.

I'll also look at Voyager FreeFlight to see what it can do.

Thanks, all.

Matt

9. silver-eagle

silver-eagle En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    ~John