Flight planner questions/recommendations

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
I've used Golden Eagle and AOPA RTFP.

I keep it simple, and don't use either to their full capabilities.

However, I'm trying to find out if there is a way to draw a 'range circle' on either. Basically, it would be nothing more than a way of saying 'draw a circle representing xxxNM radius, centered on yyy'.

Does anybody know if these FPs can do this? Are there any others out there that can?

Thanks,
Matt

Matthew said:
I've used Golden Eagle and AOPA RTFP.

I keep it simple, and don't use either to their full capabilities.

However, I'm trying to find out if there is a way to draw a 'range circle' on either. Basically, it would be nothing more than a way of saying 'draw a circle representing xxxNM radius, centered on yyy'.

Does anybody know if these FPs can do this? Are there any others out there that can?

Thanks,
Matt

I cant think of one that does.. IS there something specific that you are trying to accomplish? Is this for the 50nm X-country distance requirement?

Darrell111 said:
I cant think of one that does.. IS there something specific that you are trying to accomplish? Is this for the 50nm X-country distance requirement?

Nahh, just for playing 'what if'. Like 'what if I could afford to fly somewhere - what airports are within xxx miles?'. I've used some things like AOPA airport directory and AirNav to list airports within xxxNM. But I'd rather see the circle on the chart. It's easier to spot any airspace routing issues.

The alternative is to draw a circle on a sectional, like GMascelli, which is essentially what I've been doing.

We did something similar for a driving vacation a long time ago. Took a map, drew a circle that represented approx 8-10hrs in the car, then pretty much closed our eyes and pointed.

Matthew said:
Nahh, just for playing 'what if'. Like 'what if I could afford to fly somewhere - what airports are within xxx miles?'. I've used some things like AOPA airport directory and AirNav to list airports within xxxNM. But I'd rather see the circle on the chart. It's easier to spot any airspace routing issues.

The alternative is to draw a circle on a sectional, like GMascelli, which is essentially what I've been doing.

We did something similar for a driving vacation a long time ago. Took a map, drew a circle that represented approx 8-10hrs in the car, then pretty much closed our eyes and pointed.

Well i use Aeroplanner.com You do have to pay for this one but it plots out and TFR's and list airpaces you have to watch out for like MOA's whatever. To me this is the easiest one to use, maybe because im use to it.

Matthew,

You might try AdventurePilot.com
http://www.adventurepilot.com/

It's free, and they have a feature where you can search for "places to go" based upon entering an airport and search radius, which seems what you really want to do.

Don't most of the planners have a "range" view on the display of charts? I like Voyager FreeFlight. It'll display the chart with all the airspace designations on any range you specify. It doesn't draw a circle though, and I haven't tried printing a certain range.

EtherAviator said:
Matthew,

You might try AdventurePilot.com
http://www.adventurepilot.com/

It's free, and they have a feature where you can search for "places to go" based upon entering an airport and search radius, which seems what you really want to do.

Thanks,

I'd seen this before, I just forgot about it. This will give me some of the things I'm looking for. I think it shows a map and highlights the airports it finds.

I'll also look at Voyager FreeFlight to see what it can do.

Thanks, all.

Matt

Back