Flight planing via DUAT Mobile

Snaggletooth

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Dustin
I just bought me a new Blackberry Curve, and last night I got on DUAT Mobile and found the Flight Planing stuff. I have a few questions.

I know it says to submit the FP 40mins before you depart, but what about canceling the FP? I saw you can close the FP on DUAT, but will you have to wait 40mins for that to take effect? I'd hat to have the FAA come looking for me.

Also, when making your flight plan, do you call for a phone briefing from the FSS, or get the briefing from DUAT?

It's just like when you file DUAT(S) via the web. The 40 minute delay is to allow them time to get the flight plan into the system and scheduled. You can cancel the flight plan immediately with them, and it should be transmitted right away. Probably better to call Flight Service when you land, though, to remove an intermediary. Personal preference, however.

I presume you're talking about VFR flight plans here. An IFR will be closed automatically at a towered airport, or you can close it in the air with ATC or on the ground with a phone call.

As for getting the briefing, it's your choice. There can be an awful lot of NOTAMs to read through on a small screen, though, so you may wish to actually call FSS for an abbreviated briefing, asking specifically about any TFRs between you and your destination, just to get it on record.

Thanks! Just what I was looking for.

Now if payday would hurry up and get here so I have some money to fly. lol

Thanks! Just what I was looking for.

Now if payday would hurry up and get here so I have some money to fly. lol

The mobile interface on the BBerry was too small to use.
Now if we could only activate and close VFR flight plans with a simple SMS text message, that would be GREAT !!

The mobile interface on the BBerry was too small to use.
Now if we could only activate and close VFR flight plans with a simple SMS text message, that would be GREAT !!

That would be awesome.

Back