Flight plan review

Star Keeper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Star Keeper
Good morning PoA. I'm getting ready to take a flight this afternoon to a new airport and would like you guys to pick apart my flight a bit. The flight is KLEE WUDDY KSPG with a 4:30pm departure. Flight is VFR. My plan is to contact Tampa Approach enroute to WUDDY and see about a Class B Clearance to go direct to KSPG. I haven't done any Bravo work since training with the exception of staying under the Orlando B west of the airport. If I don't get the clearance and flight following I'll continue to WUDDY and then direct to KSPG under the shelf. Thoughts on this plan of action? The flight home will be after sunset. My night currency is up to date and I'm comfortable flying at night. I find it rather peaceful. For the flight back I'll probably follow I75 back vs playing forest or field in an emergency. What can I expect with regard to flying within the Bravo if I get the clearance. Its been a while since I've flown beyond just flight following but I'm trying to gain the experience and become more comfortable. All constructive criticisms and questions are welcome.

Used to be Tampa wouldn’t let you in the bravo for this sort of thing, but since Covid they’ve really loosened up. You’d probably have a better chance of getting into the bravo if you did the bridge transition and flew directly over tpa before heading south, from wuddy they will probably have to keep you under the shelf to stay away from tpa arrivals/departures.

If it were me, I’d probably do KLEE PPOLE KSPG, but you’ll probably have to go around PIE to the west if you do that.

...from wuddy they will probably have to keep you under the shelf to stay away from tpa arrivals/departures.
If it were me, I’d probably do KLEE PPOLE KSPG, but you’ll probably have to go around PIE to the west if you do that.

yeah I looked at going west of TPA but if KPIE is using Runway 22 that puts me right across their final if I'm following the line from PPOLE to KSPG and its a tight class D. My WUDDY route was with the intention of staying below the shelf the entire time which I'm OK with. I may just go that route and pick up flight following only. It can't hurt to ask to cross the Bravo though. I'm not familiar with the details of performing a bridge transition. I've heard of it before but never really dove into it.

Can you initiate flight following with KLEE?
KLEE is in Orlando's area so I would probably need to head further south before initiating Flight Following with Tampa.

KLEE is in Orlando's area so I would probably need to head further south before initiating Flight Following with Tampa.

First step for me would be to ask KLEE. Not every delta does it but a lot do (set up FF). There is no ‘probably’, they either do or they don’t. Regardless, you tell them or Tampa what you want to do, then they’ll tell you what you’re gonna do. Something like:

Tampa app, just departed KLEE, direct WUDDY, request FF to KSPG at 5,500, with bravo clearance if possible.

I’m in a similar scenario in the charlotte bravo. Like you, I need to go around CLT and the bravo to get anywhere. I could file direct, it doesn’t matter, they’re gonna vector me where they want me (typically directly over CLT) and get me higher when they can. So I no longer file the ‘WUDDY’ of CLT, typically just direct and if I want bravo clearance I ask for it (and either get it or not). Or I just file IFR but that ends up being the same thing.

First step for me would be to ask KLEE. Not every delta does it but a lot do (set up FF). There is no ‘probably’, they either do or they don’t. Regardless, you tell them or Tampa what you want to do, then they’ll tell you what you’re gonna do. Something like:

Tampa app, just departed KLEE, direct WUDDY, request FF to KSPG at 5,500, with bravo clearance if possible.

I’m in a similar scenario in the charlotte bravo. Like you, I need to go around CLT and the bravo to get anywhere. I could file direct, it doesn’t matter, they’re gonna vector me where they want me (typically directly over CLT) and get me higher when they can. So I no longer file the ‘WUDDY’ of CLT, typically just direct and if I want bravo clearance I ask for it (and either get it or not). Or I just file IFR but that ends up being the same thing.

Would the fact that KLEE isn't in the Tampa Approach airspace be an issue for requesting flight following?

When you refer to filing I assume you mean filing a VFR flight plan correct? I haven't done one of those yet. As I understand its primarily for SAR and doesn't give you any sort of flight following or ATC vectoring/separation like an IFR plan does. If thats the case what is the benefit of filing a flight plan with regard to getting clearance to the Class B.

I think you’re over thinking it. If you’re on flight following they are going to put you where they want you. If they want you in the bravo they will clear you in whether you ask for it or not.

Would the fact that KLEE isn't in the Orlando Approach airspace be an issue?

When you refer to filing I assume you mean filing a VFR flight plan correct? I haven't done one of those yet. As I understand its primarily for SAR and doesn't give you any sort of flight following or ATC vectoring/separation like an IFR plan does. If thats the case what is the benefit of filing a flight plan with regard to getting clearance to the Class B.

Nah no flight plan. Just requesting flight following.

I don’t know the reasoning behind it, but some deltas can set up FF for you. Others do not. That’s why it’s best to just ask. Worst they’ll say is no and will typically give u the freq of who can set it up for you (approach). In the end, it’ll most likely be the same for you, approach will vector you accordingly based on what they got going on. It sounds like you have a good idea of what to expect and also a plan B (stay below the bravo if needed).

I've never asked for the bridge transition, but I've got it a few times. If you ask for it they will vector you and have you cross right over TPA East to West. You should ask for it just for the experience. It's easy. It's on the sectional in magenta. The downside is you'll still have to deal with PIE, but they will vector you around that as well.

Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 8.31.15 AM.png

But, your plan is fine also. Just be ready if they decide to send you another way. ;)

Nah no flight plan. Just requesting flight following.

I don’t know the reasoning behind it, but some deltas can set up FF for you. Others do not. That’s why it’s best to just ask. Worst they’ll say is no and will typically give u the freq of who can set it up for you (approach). In the end, it’ll most likely be the same for you, approach will vector you accordingly based on what they got going on. It sounds like you have a good idea of what to expect and also a plan B (stay below the bravo if needed).
I think it's when ground is also playing clearance delivery that they can set it up for you easily. Which, if memory serves will be the case in Leesburg.

It's been a while for me...but I do believe since you say KLEE isn't in Tampa's area, if they do set up the following they might start you with Orlando then pretty soon after Orlando will give you a freq to hand you over to Tampa
Otherwise, I think that I'd probably do as Eman suggested...contact Tampa Approach as you near it....looks like 119.9....and ask for that Bridge Transition, I'll bet it would be a fun experience!
I'm guessing your a newly minted pilot? If so, did you learn at KLEE and get exposure to the Class B's of Orlando and Tampa?

for KLEE, looks like there's a separate clearance delivery freq when the tower is closed...so yea, I would totally think it's worth a shot to ask ground when you ask for your taxi clearance

ATIS: 134.325
ASOS: Tel. 352-787-1565
LEESBURG TOWER: 119.35
LEESBURG GROUND: 121.725
ORLANDO APPROACH: 120.225 135.3 351.9
ORLANDO DEPARTURE: 120.225 135.3 351.9
CLEARANCE DELIVERY: 120.225 ;WHEN TWR CLSD

It's been a while for me...but I do believe since you say KLEE isn't in Tampa's area, if they do set up the following they might start you with Orlando then pretty soon after Orlando will give you a freq to hand you over to Tampa
Otherwise, I think that I'd probably do as Eman suggested...contact Tampa Approach as you near it....looks like 119.9....and ask for that Bridge Transition, I'll bet it would be a fun experience!
I'm guessing your a newly minted pilot? If so, did you learn at KLEE and get exposure to the Class B's of Orlando and Tampa?
Yeah. One thing I noticed flying to Flagler recently is that flight following doesn't do a seamless handoff to the next airspace controller. You just drop flight following and then request it with the next sector controller.

Yeah. One thing I noticed flying to Flagler recently is that flight following doesn't do a seamless handoff to the next airspace controller. You just drop flight following and then request it with the next sector controller.

hhmm, this doesn't sound right

Depends where you are at, and what's going on at the time. Some are lazy, or too busy to coordinate for you.

To be honest I was surprised to get flight following from Orlando. That was the first time out of 6 previous attempts. I wasn't sure if it was normal for them to not hand off flight following from sector to sector. All it took was being christmas day I guess.

To be honest I was surprised to get flight following from Orlando. That was the first time out of 6 previous attempts. I wasn't sure if it was normal for them to not hand off flight following from sector to sector. All it took was being christmas day I guess.
Sometimes you can get FF from coast to coast, and sometimes you can't get it at all. One trip from NC to FL I requested every 50 miles until I got to Georgia and just gave up.

Usually, if you are outside the Bravo on Flight Following, you are on your own nav. If you actually penetrate the Bravo with a clearance, they will give you altitude and heading they want. That is about the difference.

Flight went great. We departed KLEE a bit early. Tower stated that VFR flight plans should be open with FSS and that I should reach out to Orlando once in the air for Flight Following. I planned on activating my VFR from foreflight except that I forgot that the ipad doesn't have internet when connected to the stratux. I opted to just let the flight plan remain inactive. Orlando and Tampa both picked up flight following but no handoff between the two. I had to go back to 1200 and then request Tampa for following after Orlando was done with me. I did get the clearance through Class B which saved me some time. It made for a nice scenic flight over Tampa B passing just outside of the Class D at MacDill. Winds were 6knots perfectly on the beam. Crosswind landing was quite smooth at KSPG. This was my first trip into an FBO that wasn't my home airport. Sheltair KSPG was very nice and only charged me the facility fee since I wasn't staying overnight.

The trip back had the same crosswind. The wife was surprised by the left crab angle post takeoff. I told her it was the instacrab angle which allows for best instagram pictures from the passenger side of the plane. She did not find me amusing. With KSPG tower closed I took off and stayed under the Class B while trying to raise them on the radio and ran into my first hurdle. I pulled the frequency for Tampa Approach east from the airport info on foreflight. It lists 119.65. I could hear them but it seemed they couldn't hear me. I then tuned the Tampa Approach west frequency found in the same place of 125.3. This time they could hear me but sent me to 119.9. I'm not sure why that frequency wasn't listed there. I ended up getting in touch with Tampa App and they cleared me into the Bravo and we were able to go direct KLEE from there. We made good time with a nice tail wind. Watching the stream of lights of all of the jets coming into TPA really reinforces how many aircraft are in the air even at 9:30pm. At 10 miles south of KLEE we decided to set up for a 4 mile final for 31. We were racing a G650 inbound from the north also 10 miles out. I'm not saying he was faster than my C172 but he had landed, offloaded his passengers and their bags and they were just pulling out of the gate when we taxied up.

All in all a good flight. It was nice to fly for a specific destination vs just going up. The wife found that she enjoyed night flying more than flights during the day. I can understand that. She doesn't understand that at night we have to play field vs forest when looking for emergency landing spots. I think she's still on board with this addiction...obsession...hobby.

Back