Flight plan filing for the major carriers

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
You are an airline pilot, and you are flying from Mexico back to the United States on a scheduled route, and it is 1984. Who files for you, and how is it done?

You don't. If it's 1984 you're smuggling coke in from Mexico under the radar.

The major carriers have their own dispatch groups that handle everything. Pilot gets details from dispatch for review before dispatch files the flight plan. If you're a small carrier, you may "buy services" from various groups. Jeppesen has an entire department that is the dispatch team for charters and small carriers. BTW, getting FAA certified as a dispatcher is one path to a fairly good career, the exam is similar to the ATP. Check out details on the Jepp course:

http://ww1.jeppesen.com/industry-so...ercial/training/ground-flight-ops-level-2.jsp

There are others, of course, but this is the most obvious for info. Last time I looked into it, it was full time for 6 weeks, over $4K.

The major carriers have their own dispatch groups that handle everything. Pilot gets details from dispatch for review before dispatch files the flight plan. If you're a small carrier, you may "buy services" from various groups. Jeppesen has an entire department that is the dispatch team for charters and small carriers. BTW, getting FAA certified as a dispatcher is one path to a fairly good career, the exam is similar to the ATP. Check out details on the Jepp course:

http://ww1.jeppesen.com/industry-so...ercial/training/ground-flight-ops-level-2.jsp

There are others, of course, but this is the most obvious for info. Last time I looked into it, it was full time for 6 weeks, over $4K.

I'm assuming there is some standard routing for a given flight that they would use, and perhaps adjust for runways in use and WX? Is it filed electronically? (would it have been in 1984?)

I'm assuming there is some standard routing for a given flight that they would use, and perhaps adjust for runways in use and WX? Is it filed electronically? (would it have been in 1984?)
Don't know the details about filing in 1984, I was consulting for ATC flight ops, not 3rd party dispatch back then. But there was electronic communications. Think ARINC and weather reports on teletypes. Reasonable to assume that filing was done electronic by teletype but I don't know for sure.

Filed electronically. Planned for specific runways on both ends. Get performance data based upon up to the minute weather.

To the ATC folks here. It is a royal pain and increases the workload in the cockpit with the computers, performance etc. changing a runway at the last minute. I understand your workload also but it is not just okay we will slip over to that runway now. They don't let us go and do the real pilot stuff without all the electrons telling us that what we see out the window is correct. I have stopped on the taxiway, blocking the entire flow while the computers and performance are all updated. Keep taxing? Then my head is on the chopping block for rushing and allowing something to happen. Also...a three minute vector in the air to get us headed in the right direction is a lot easier than a 20 minute (in DFW a 45 minute taxi) just so we are on the right side of the airport. ???????????????????

I must be transparent.

Hey, who are we to judge?

650x366

But Orwell already did 1984. Not very original. :p
Does forgetting to file a flight plan count as a "thoughtcrime" in this new version? Great Britain is called Airstrip One in Orwell's version, so there is an aviation connection.

To the ATC folks here. It is a royal pain and increases the workload in the cockpit with the computers, performance etc. changing a runway at the last minute. I understand your workload also but it is not just okay we will slip over to that runway now. They don't let us go and do the real pilot stuff without all the electrons telling us that what we see out the window is correct. I have stopped on the taxiway, blocking the entire flow while the computers and performance are all updated. Keep taxing? Then my head is on the chopping block for rushing and allowing something to happen. Also...a three minute vector in the air to get us headed in the right direction is a lot easier than a 20 minute (in DFW a 45 minute taxi) just so we are on the right side of the airport. ???????????????????
There's your problem. Spend more time at your northern hub...it's more efficient ;)

Back