Flight out of the mtns today...

Clark1961

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Display name:
Flight from somewhere in south-central WY to FTG today. Work delayed departure until 10:30 a.m. or so. Fairly bumpy on the way out of the mtns with 1,000 fpm climbs and descents. Pretty much standard fair for late morning in July.

The "interesting" part was final and landing at FTG. The wind is all over the place from directly down the runway to a quartering tailwind with average velocity of 10 knots. I decided to carry just a little bit extra speed, like about 10 knots and let the arrival occur where ever it happened to be on the runway. I had 8,000 feet to work with so I wasn't really worried. Aimed for the numbers and finally alighted at about the thousand foot marks. Was a bit surprised that I was on the centerline, aligned with the runway, and landed rather gently. Rolled out long and was happy to hear "Welcome Home" from the ground controller.

Anyway, fueled at the self-serve, pulled the aircraft clear, and stepped on the wing to get in to fire-up. At that point the right strut came off full extension and stroked in to normal compression. Guess the landing was smooooth enough since it didn't even compress the strut. Sheesh, I was just glad to get it down safely...

I love it when the struts don't compress until you are taxiing back to the hangar. It lets you know you done good.

I love it when the struts don't compress until you are taxiing back to the hangar. It lets you know you done good.

I don't have struts, but I had many shifting winds at KFTG when I was based there. With 8,000 ft of runway you could always have the room to get it down gently. Plus with that kind of runway length, even at 5,500 ft elevation my Tiger made it off the ground. :D

Back