Flight Lesson: 6/6//09

Snaggletooth

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Dustin
I just got back from my Flight Lesson. For today's lesson I did some Navigation and touch and goes.

We where going to do this lesson last Wednesday but a nasty Thunder Storm popped up on while we where preflighting the plane. So we had to delay it till today.

So after preflight and the run up we took off and departed to the north headed to AXH from LBX. so as we navigated our way there we past 3 other aircraft inbound for runway 17 at LBX.
so we landed at AXH went in an got a few log books and a quart of oil.

On our way back to LBX we had a near miss with a smallish sized bird, and watched a few skydivers.

We then did 5 touch and goes and landed the plane.

My next lesson will be june 16th.

Well, I gotta say, that sure sounds like a full-featured lesson. Keep 'em coming! - Russ

I just got back from my Flight Lesson. For today's lesson I did some Navigation and touch and goes.

We where going to do this lesson last Wednesday but a nasty Thunder Storm popped up on while we where preflighting the plane. So we had to delay it till today.

So after preflight and the run up we took off and departed to the north headed to AXH from LBX. so as we navigated our way there we past 3 other aircraft inbound for runway 17 at LBX.
so we landed at AXH went in an got a few log books and a quart of oil.

On our way back to LBX we had a near miss with a smallish sized bird, and watched a few skydivers.

We then did 5 touch and goes and landed the plane.

My next lesson will be june 16th.

Good stuff, man, keep up the reports!

June 16th?? Yowch, that's a long time away!

It is, my CFI said "the plane would not be there" next week. so we made the next lesson for the next wednesday.

Keep the stories come'n, Snag. More detail so we can live vicariously thru you!

BTW, I noticed you "look'n" at planes(sporty's web page).........what is/would be your choice right now...........w/in reason.:D

Can't wait for the 16th, as I''m sure you can't either.:D

Right now I want a Mooney M20m. The reason, it looks awesome, the price is pretty good, good range, very fast.... oh and it looks awesome!!

My Dream is to be a charter Pilot, but I don't want to fly a Multi Engine plane. I like singles. I think a Mooney M20 will do the job great.

My Dream is to be a charter Pilot, but I don't want to fly a Multi Engine plane. I like singles. I think a Mooney M20 will do the job great.

For you, yes - Problem is, pax will hate it. The back seat isn't too big. :no:

Pax like singles like the Cherokee Six/Lance/Saratoga series.

Another decent one for pax is the Diamond Star - Back seat is bigger than most 4-seat singles and it's easy to get in and out of, since it has a back door (back doors are extremely rare on four-seaters!)

What about a Cessna 210?

Not an easy airplane for getting in/out of the rear seats. A Saratoga or 36 series Bonanza would be the piston single of choice for passenger ingress/egress.

That said, while fantasizing about what kinds of airplanes you might fly and/or own in the future is indeed fun, don't be too concerned about actually making such a determination at this point as you will no doubt be changing your opinion(s) on that many times as you gain experience in different airplanes.

Also if I were you, I'd find a way to ensure that I got at least three lessons per week, preferably four. At the rate you're going you will spend 50-75% of your time re-learning stuff. An occasional week off is not a big deal, and can sometimes even be helpful but once a week or less is not very conducive to efficient learning.

I'd love to do 3-4 lessons a week, but I have to do school as well as fly, so once a week is all I can do.

So a BE36 will do good for Charter Piloting?

To be honest, I don't think that single engine prop planes will do all that well in charter operations. A lot of people are concerned about getting into a propeller plane, much less one with a single engine. Plus, you have significant W&B issues. That said, there are a number of companies that are using Cirrus SR-22s for on-demand taxi service. Don't know their profitability, though. There's also an operation at my airport that has a C182 (in addition to a King Air.)

A guy does Charter Flying at my Local airport and has a C210. My CFI will be flying Charter in that plane soon.

Wow, guess I haven't been around too much lately... glad to see another pilot from Houston on the board! Consider this a belated welcome to POA from me.

I'm a Houston-area pilot who learned to fly at SGR. I let my currency lapse there however, as I plan to get checked out at IWS (newer planes for less $$$) in the future. Lately though, I've been flying the 1940 Air Terminal Museum's raffle plane around to sell raffle tickets.

If you have questions about flying in the area or just want to chat about flying in general, feel free to send me a PM. I'd love to meet up for coffee or beer and discuss this addiction we all share. I'm also an AGI, so I'd be glad to help you out with any material you're struggling with.

Only if you get an A36 or something with club seating and a separate door for the rear cabin. An F33 or V35 Bonanza where there are only 4 seats and passengers have to enter/exit through the front door won't work as well.

That said, while fantasizing about what kinds of airplanes you might fly and/or own in the future is indeed fun, don't be too concerned about actually making such a determination at this point as you will no doubt be changing your opinion(s) on that many times as you gain experience in different airplanes.

Not to mention, by the time you're at that point there may be some new airplanes available. For example, the DA50 would be as easy to get into as the DA40 that I mentioned, but the interior is cavernous (seriously, I bet it's bigger than the Aztruck) and the plane will be quite speedy. It'd probably make another good choice.

I'd love to do 3-4 lessons a week, but I have to do school as well as fly, so once a week is all I can do.

Don't Worry, I have taught many pilots flying only once a week, Just don't let it go much longer than that very often. You got the right Idea, don't ever leave a lesson without having you next one scheduled, even if it has to be three weeks away.

You will need to hit it about 2 or 3 times a week the last few weeks before you take your check ride.

Brian
CFIG/ASEL

If you are going to get a plane get an RV3 or if really needing to go cheap get a Bowers Fly Baby. They only have 1 seat but for building time and experience that's all you need. Plus, as tailwheel planes you'll be able to get in and fly a lot more cool machines including crop dusters after a couple hundred hours. You can own a good Fly Baby for under $10K and burn 4.5 gal of auto gas per hour. It just doesn't get any cheaper and they are FUN airplanes. Slow, but fun and can get in and out of any strip.

Back