Flight Lesson:5/28/09

Snaggletooth

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Dustin
Today was my Flight Lesson. It's normally Wednesdays but we where having real bad weather so we had to do it today. Anyway, I was sitting in the lobby and turned around to see my dream plane parked close to the window.... a Mooney M20!
So after sitting there looking at it my Flight Instructor came out and we drove down to the hanger then started preflighting the plane. Then my CFI told me to finish the preflighting and that he was going to get us a some drinks. So when I got done I was looking out at the runway and waiting for the CFI to comeback. Then I saw this plane taxing down the taxi way and I started thinking "no way... surely it's not." It was... a P-51D Mustang!!! The P-51 then took off at a steep angle and came around and made a low fast pass over the runway! Too Cool!

So then we taxied, did the run up, and took off from Runway 35 and departed to the south. My CFI introduced me to slow flight, so we did that for a while then started doing 180 and 360 degree turns. Then came in and started doing Touch and Goes. After about 5 Touch and Goes we landed.

Next weeks lessons will be either Ground Reference Maneuvers, or power on and power off stalls.

Oh Man.. A P-51 making a low pass on your second lesson... You might as well check into the Betty Ford clinic for aviation addiction, I am afraid that might not be enough though...:smilewinkgrin:

I enjoy reading your posts. Reminds me of days gone by . . .

Seeing the P-51 was a real treat. You could tell it was a rare sight for the people at the airport just by looking at the number of people coming out of the hangers as it taxied by/took off!

I hope yall enjoy my posts as much as I enjoy bringing them to yall.

Yeah seeing Mustangs is pretty cool, but they're even cooler when you get to see them in flight! I've had a few aerial P51 "encounters"...

A few years ago I flew into Kenosha, WI the weekend before OSH. I was coming in from the west so the Controller had me do a long straight in to rwy 6. As I was on 2 or 3 mile final I hear this call "North American (can't remember the tail number) 10 miles out" and the tower clears him for an overhead break, and advises him of Archer traffic on 21/2 mile final. Now here's the cool part. As I was about to touch down the P-51 flies over the rwy at maybe 1000' feet above me and does an overhead break pattern entry. :D

The other time I saw a P-51 in flight was in out club 2-33 glider. I actually heard the engine before I saw him.

About a month ago, I was #3 to land when i saw a P-51 while i was in the downwind leg of the pattern. I heard radio chatter back and forth with "Mustang XYZ etc." and got really excited. My instructor pointed him out while he was on final, and i watched him land. Also, last week the same guy was inbound while i was climbing out, and since my radio listening skills are getting better, i was able to figure out where he was and watched him pass under me at 3 o'clock low. I guess he was out practicing for the Jones Beach airshow this past weekend. Truly an awesome and beautiful machine.

Here she is:
mustang001Sm.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes it's hard to focus on your lessons... :D

Reminds me that all my coolest "sightings" on taxiways and in the pattern have been when I was taking dual, now that I think about it.

BTW: if you'd like to try a Mooney sometime, they have a M20 for rent (dual only) down at 5R2... nice buncha folks down there, too.

http://www.oceanspringsairport.com/

[EDIT: had you mixed up with Bamapilot; I guess 5R2 would be a little out of the way for you, LOL!!]

Last edited:
Oh, there was also a King Air, and Lear Jet on the park way that a guy with a Rolls Royce was having photographed!

Back