Flight lesson: 10-15-09

Snaggletooth

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Dustin
Once again the weather stopped us from doing my XC Flights. An approaching Cold Front made the wind horrible out today. So instead we went up and did some Instrument work. But it was one of those days that everything went wrong and it seamed we may never get in the air.

As soon as we walked in the Hangar my CFI said "Ok, somethings wrong with this Airplane. Let me know if you find it." So I contenued on with Preflighting the plane. I got to the tail and saw that the tail of the plane was way higher than normal. I knew that the problem must be in the Nose Gear. So I quickly walked to the nose and found the Nose Strut deflated. So we took the plane down to the A&P to get it refilled with Nitrogen.
Once that was done we went I finished the last thing on my Preflight Checklist (Straining the fuel), and of course the strainer is not in the plane. So we had to walk down to the 172 and get a Fuel Strainer.

Ok, Finally! Looks as if we are going flying..... Not. The Freqency Swap button on the Radio stuck and we could not get it to change the Freq, nor swap it. Then my CFI pressed a few other buttons and they to stuck. So after fiddling with it for a while we taxied back to the Hanger. After I shut it down we got everything sorted out. Still not sure what what the heck went wrong with it.

So we finally took off and I put on the Hood (Foggles) and wow.... it's so odd to be "Flying Blind." So I climbed up to 4,000ft. It was fun to try and keep as close to my Heading and Altitude as I could, and I did a good job of doing so. We did some VOR Nav Work while I was "Under the Hood" and at one point on the return trip I heard "Uhh Oh.... We're in the drop zone." I knew we were about 17nm North of KLBX over the local Sky Diving Place. My CFI said he could see the Drop Plane in a dive indicating we had sky divers in the air above us. About that time I felt the plane roll right and my CFI said "Opps. There's one!" As it turns out two Sky Divers were a few thousand feet to our left. Later he looked and could see all the sky divers right were we just were. Then a little bit later my CFI called out a Bald Eagle, which really rare in this area. Once back in the traffic pattern I took off the hood and made a ugly, but smooth landing in one heck of a crosswind.

Weather permiting, we'll do my XC next week. 24.4 Hours logged.

I'm a bit suprised your instructor got you into a jump zone like this but don't let those jumpers hit your plane, it takes forever to clean up! ;)

Years ago I lost a few friends on a military jump in Louisiana. They were caught in updrafts and a C-130 went through them, chewing them up in the propellers. That was in 1963.

Your instructor was, lets see, how can I put this diplomatically? OK, I've got it! Your instructor is an idiot.

There is a reason drop zones are indicated on the charts. There is a reason Flight Services will give you jumper information during your standard briefing. That reason is that they want you to stay well clear of those areas. Parachutists are much like pilots in that they also have students, who may not be as skilled in evasive maneuvers as the more seasoned jumpers.

How about just avoiding those areas all together. Should your idiot take you into such a situation again, I would suggest you remove your "foggles" and fly out of that jump area. You should seriously consider getting a real CFI.

John

I would not fly with anyone else. He's the best with in my area.

Then could I suggest you sit down with your chart and mark those areas with a red circle that will keep you at least three miles away from them, preferably four or five.

The reason you are not allowed to wander into Bravo airspace is that you will interfere with other traffic, you could even bump into another airplane, not only killing yourself but the people on the other plane as well. They mark those areas on your chart for you, with big fat blue lines. If you cross one of those lines, you will get your chops busted big time.

After you have created your own Bravo airspace around those jump areas on your chart, sit down with your instructor and show him. Explain to him you do not want to fly in those areas, and why. Make sure he understands. He was not only risking his and your life, but the lives of those jumpers as well.

That dive the jump plane made was not to indicate jumpers in the area, it was to try and drive the idiots away.

You have to take this stuff seriously, just because he is a CFI, he is not immune from making mistakes or poor judgment calls. Your brain has to be in there working with his, just like all four of your eyes should be looking for other traffic when your not under the hood.

Why don't the two of you call the jump school and arrange an introductory jump? This will give you both a good understanding of how disconcerting it would be, if a small airplane showed up right below you.

John

Last edited:
Back