Flight Lesson: 07-23-09

Snaggletooth

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Dustin
Had a good Flight lesson today. We started out with steep turns and ended with our normal Touch and Goes. The Steep turns were uneventful so I'll skip to the Touch and Goes as they were interesting in spots.

After Finishing the steep turns we headed back to the Airport and descended from 3,00ft to 1,000ft and while doing so flew over the Gun Range we go to, and my Best Friends House. Then entered the Pattern at a 45 degree angle for One Seven. When turning base to final we saw a Yellow Piper Cub on final over the numbers. It made no Radio Contact, so we think it had no radio's on board. Then simulating an Emergency my CFI said "Ok, The plane in front just flipped over on the runway, what do you Do?" So I put in the carb heat, added full power, and took up one notch of flaps. On Downwind My CFI pulled back the power, simulating an Engine Failure. Immediately I trimmed full up Elevator and pitched for 60kts. Turning short base to Final to early and over shot the runway. So we did a go around and the same thing happened. On the third one I got it right and made a good Touch and Go. My CFI then told me we would do normal Touch and Go's. We were downwind just short of being abeam the numbers and started the Landing Checklist. I then saw something that gave me shivers. A Turkey Vulture, riding the Thermals just above us. I then got a feeling in my stomach that it was going to drop in on top of us.
Sure enough, it dropped it's left wing. Trying to avoid a bird strike I started a turn to the right, away from the bird that is on a kamikaze run for the plane. Just as I start the turn my CFI grabs the yoke and helps avoid the Bird Strike with the large, dimwitted bird. A "perfect landing" as my CFI called it, followed the tense moment. It was most definitely my Best landing to date. Two more slightly rougher landings followed then we called it a day.

My CFI gave me some "Homework" to do in the form of doing X-wind take offs and landings, Go arounds, and Engine failures on FSX. I even ordered a Yoke and Rudder Peddles for Flight Sim.

Well all i can say is Congrats on a GREAT lesson, now you have some experance with true emergancies.
Keep up the good work and keep us informed how it's going .
Dave G

Back