Flight Lesson: 07/19/09

Snaggletooth

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Dustin
Today was my Birthday so we made plans for me to go flying today.

Woke up this AM and jumped up of bed, then headed for the computer to check the NOAA Aviation weather forecast..... 50% chance of rain and thunderstorms. :)cryin:)Pulled up the radar and we had a line of rain brewing right over us. :)cryin:X2). So I then knew chances of getting to fly was very slim. Later in the Morning my Mom pulled up the radar and the line of rain was moving off to the south and things were looking up! :D

We got to the airport a bit early so we could watch the planes take off and land. My CFI got there and we headed out to preflight the plane.
Got that done, hopped in, taxied down to Three Five at Charlie and started out Run up check list then over the radio we heard "cessna XXX midfield downwind for One Seven" My CFI and my self looked at each other knowing that the active runway was Three Five not One Seven.
Never the less we continued on with the Run Up then the Cessna said "Cessna XXX downwind for runway Three Five full stop" Once the Cessna cleared Three Five at Echo we Taxied into position and took off remaining in the pattern for one touch and Go then departed the pattern to the North East and climbed up to 2,000ft for some Power on Stalls. Which was cool as the ceiling was 2,000ft. so we were having to duck in and out of a hole in the clouds. After a few Power on stalls my CFI told me to descend to 1,500ft. Once I leveled out at 1,500ft my CFI pulled back the throttle and said "ok, your engine died what do you do?" So I added full up elevator trim to get the 60kt glide speed for the 152. then my CFI asked me what I do next in which I said "look for a place to land" and my CFI called out a Short Soft grass landing strip just to our north. So we headed to it, landed, and took off again. That was my first Soft short Field landing and take off. We then headed back to airport for some Touch and Goes. After I called out that we were 3 miles north and were entering downwind for Three Five my CFI started talking about the darkening clouds to the south. After 2 touch and goes Went we turned to crosswind to clear downwind we saw rain right were we needed to be for downwind. So we hugged the runway closer than normal to avoid the rain and did two more landings then taxied back to the hangar as we could see lightning back to our south east. I'm just glad I got my lesson in for my B-day.

Next lesson is this Wednesday and we will be doing steep turns and touch and goes. 10.4 hours now.

Sounds like a great lesson!

Also Happy Birthday! :cheers:

Good lesson, and Happy Birthday!

Keep in mind with thunderstorms in the area that there can be a gust front many miles in front of the actual storm that can drastically change the wind patterns. I saw a CFI almost lose it once when the wind totally shifted directions on him in just one turn around the pattern. Just something to be cognizant of!

Yeah. I was really hoping that the weather would not turn bad fast on us, lucky for us we got it all done before it hit.

Fantastic Snag! Happy B-Day!

I learned the engine out proc on friday. He taught me this:
A-airspeed(best glide)
L-landing spot
A-air restart (fuel, fuel, fuel, mags)
R-radios (121.5, local, closest tower)
M-maydays(location, nature of prob, souls on board)
S-secure(fuel, fuel, mags, master all OFF)

Out here it's pretty easy to find a landing spot, roads on mile lines, many have no highlines, flat farm ground, low pop.

Can't wait to hear about the next lesson.
Again, thanks for post'n your lessons, we all really like to read about how it's going.:thumbsup:

Did your CFI kill the engine (pull the mixture) or reduce the power to idle?

Cool beans... I love birthday flights. Sounds like you did well!
I believe pulling the throttle, not the mixture, is the usual method for simulated engine failures... a bit risky pulling the mixture, as the engine might stop and not restart (it shouldn't, but...). But it doesn't matter much in a 150/152... at idle or shut down, it flies the same. :D

Did your CFI kill the engine (pull the mixture) or reduce the power to idle?
I have never had a CFI kill the engine:yikes: to simulate an emergency. They always pull the throttle. Well, in my last Flight Review, he simply asked me to show him what to do in the case of a engine failure without actually pulling anything.

Sounds like a fun lesson! Happy birthday!

I have never had a CFI kill the engine:yikes: to simulate an emergency. They always pull the throttle. Well, in my last Flight Review, he simply asked me to show him what to do in the case of a engine failure without actually pulling anything.

In the single engine world I've never had anyone actually kill the engine, nor would it seem like a good idea. In the multi engine world where a lot of training emphasis is specifically on single engine operation, the mixture normally actually gets pulled back, or sometimes hit the fuel selector valve (depends on the instructor). For training, it's important that moving the throttle (the "identify" portion of identify/verify/feather) has no effect when you simulate an engine failure.

You also make a point of practicing engine out situations like that in a scenario where you could safely make it back to the airport on one engine if need be. For example, when we did the engine shutdown on my check ride, we were directly over an airport where the DE happened to know the mechanics who could unfeather the prop if we couldn't get the thing restarted and unfeathered. Fortunately, we managed to get the thing restarted (even he said "I hate doing this" as we were restarting the engine, it really didn't want to), did a few more landings, and then kept on flying.

I had a friend of my dad tell me his CFI killed the engine. They tried to restart and at first it did not want to but after a bit they got it going again. Glad my CFI only pulls back the throttle. lol

I had a friend of my dad tell me his CFI killed the engine. They tried to restart and at first it did not want to but after a bit they got it going again. Glad my CFI only pulls back the throttle. lol

There's a difference between simulating an emergency and creating a real one. :)

I am curious if you CFI was familiar with the field he chose to land in during the simulated lost engine? ie; has he landed in that field before and knows the terrain, etc really well, because you know what happens when the field has ruts, stumps, holes, etc.
In all of my power out simulations, we never actually landed at the emergency field location, only descended into an approach and then put the power back in and did the go-around.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

I'm not sure how many times he has used the field before but he knew the "lay of the land" pretty well.

My CFI only pulls the throttle, we get w/in1000' and then go-around proc.

I was just about to ask the same thing about actually landing in the field. That sounds like fun though, I would like to get some real short/soft field practice. It's hard to simulate the same feeling on an 11500x150 strip.

It was very fun. I'd like to do it more (after it drys out a bit from the rain we got lol).

Back