Flight Instructors transporting passengers

@midlifeflyer - Would a twist on this be allowed?
Is it allowed by regulation for a commercial pilot (with Class II Med) to be paid by aircraft owner to pilot owner's aircraft with owner's family and/or owner's friends, whether owner is present in aircraft or not, and where owner is not receiving compensation (of any sort) for the flight nor are the other passengers providing any compensation (of any sort) to anybody for the flight?
I can't answer that. Assuming no compensation of any type, it sounds ok. No different than when I took a co-worker's child up for their first flight. But here's my problem. My comment to @bflynn earlier was that I don't have the luxury others here have of making assumptions about underlying details. That's because of the small chance that a "yes you can" from me will lead someone to believe it's ok, which then turns out wrong. That raises an ethical problem for me.

This is an area where the smallest detail can count. And enforcement climate counts too. There are some pretty clear yes and no answers here but variations on a theme are tricky. There have been (and are) practices technically on the edges that were widely accepted for years when suddenly the Chief Counsel was asked the wrong question or the wrong incident came along.

I do answer questions like this in private consultations. But even then, those answers are more often about the degree of risk than "oh, that's no problem at all."

BTW, I noticed a big issue with the OP immediately. Asked about a CFI carrying passengers. Unless we are talking about a CFI bringing a student's spouse/partner along during a lesson, the answer has nothing to do with being a CFI.

If the instructor does not pay his share of the flight expenses then there is compensation even if no money changed hands.

Unless we are talking about a CFI bringing a student's spouse/partner along during a lesson, the answer has nothing to do with being a CFI.
I agree the "CFI" appeared to be irrelevant. But have to ask.
:)
In your response, you made note of "student's spouse/partner". Would you mind elaborating on how that could be a factor? Just curious.

There have been (and are) practices technically on the edges that were widely accepted for years when suddenly the Chief Counsel was asked the wrong question or the wrong incident came along.
That is very frustrating.

I agree the "CFI" appeared to be irrelevant. But have to ask.
:)
In your response, you made note of "student's spouse/partner". Would you mind elaborating on how that could be a factor? Just curious.
Just that the spouse/partner is a passenger not needed in order for there to be an instructional flight. I did it regularly, so I don't worry about it. Is it possible to be a potential problem? I guess so given the right (wrong) set of circumstances.

Just that the spouse/partner is a passenger not needed in order for there to be an instructional flight. I did it regularly, so I don't worry about it. Is it possible to be a potential problem? I guess so given the right (wrong) set of circumstances.

How is th3 student’s spouse/partner as pax different than the CFI bringing along a random guy off the street as human ballast?

Does it change if the CFI’s human ballast needs to get between two airports on a dual XC route already planned with a student pilot?

Does it change if the CFI’s human ballast needs to get between two airports on a dual XC route already planned with a student pilot?

That's where I think the potential problem might be. Did they choose the destination for the ballast's shopping trip?

When I got checked out in a 206 at my club, they had me load the plane with human ballast so I could demonstrate that I could handle the plane at near max gross.

When I got checked out in a 206 at my club, they had me load the plane with human ballast so I could demonstrate that I could handle the plane at near max gross.
Toward the end of training, I used to suggest students bring their partner so the partner would know what is going on and feel comfortable flying with them in the future.

I used give the passenger a rolled up newspaper with instructions to whack the pilot in the head whenever the passenger felt a butt slide (except on final for landing). Great way to teach maintaining coordination,

Back