Flight Instructor for one week on a factory new C182 ex Kansas

Hanno Kraatz

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Hanno
Dear Community,

We (father and son) are taking delivery of a factory new C182 in October 2019 in Independence / Kansas. Before ferry flight to Germany, my father would like to spent a couple of days / up to a week with an experienced Flight Instructor to fly to nice spots in the US for a) the fun of it and b) getting as much experience with his new plane as possible. The idea is not to have one fixed base but to tour for a couple of days whereever nice and the weather allows.
My father is 70 years old, has a frozen IR License and some 1.500hrs on primarily C172 and C172RG.

Best, Hanno

Hmmm you should come to Colorado and I will take you over ur Zugspitze

Dear Community,

We (father and son) are taking delivery of a factory new C182 in October 2019 in Independence / Kansas. Before ferry flight to Germany, my father would like to spent a couple of days / up to a week with an experienced Flight Instructor to fly to nice spots in the US for a) the fun of it and b) getting as much experience with his new plane as possible. The idea is not to have one fixed base but to tour for a couple of days whereever nice and the weather allows.
My father is 70 years old, has a frozen IR License and some 1.500hrs on primarily C172 and C172RG.

Best, Hanno
Congratulations on your purchase. Be sure to post pics here when you get it. Just to make everyone jealous.

Biggest thing will be the transition to the G1000 suite. Otherwise, he should be pretty familiar with things with 1,500 hrs under his belt in aircraft of similar type.

Dear Community,
Best, Hanno
Very personal decision, but if it were me and I was that close, I'd go for scenery out West. Base out of Page, AZ KPGA. Has your father seen the Grand Canyon? I would include Monument Valley and Sedona and call it good. Great views of the Rocky Mountains coming to & fro.

@Hanno Kraatz - Maybe you could add more info on how you would compensate the instructor? If I was a instructor (I am not), had the time and knew you'd be covering hotels, meals and some other compensation it would sound like a fun week and a sweet ride.

Congrats on the new Skylane :)

point taken :)

Obviously all expenses will be covered including overnight in good hotels. As formte daily rates of the Flight Instructor we are open for proposals.

Hanno

Biggest thing will be the transition to the G1000 suite. Otherwise, he should be pretty familiar with things with 1,500 hrs under his belt in aircraft of similar type.
agreed

This is not an answer to your inquiry, but have you approached the selling dealer or Cessna (if buying direct) about providing training? They may have someone on staff that could help or they might have a school they normally work with that would provide the necessary transition training.

The last nearly new airplane deal I was involved in had the selling dealer providing training at their expense by an insurance approved vendor. The dealer also provided a days worth of training with an on staff instructor, which doubled as an acceptance flight to demonstrate the airplane and confirm that everything was as represented.

This is not an answer to your inquiry, but have you approached the selling dealer or Cessna (if buying direct) about providing training? They may have someone on staff that could help or they might have a school they normally work with that would provide the necessary transition training.

The last nearly new airplane deal I was involved in had the selling dealer providing training at their expense by an insurance approved vendor. The dealer also provided a days worth of training with an on staff instructor, which doubled as an acceptance flight to demonstrate the airplane and confirm that everything was as represented.
Thanks for hat! We are getting a one day groundschool and one day flight training from Cessna but the idea is to have it more extensive than off the factory. Maybe it is not a matter of 7 days but 5 instead or maybe three... but still it should be a combination of training and flying around in the US together with an experienced Flight Instructor

Who will be flying the aircraft back to Germany ? you might have fun with the ferry pilot going east than north up the coast to the closest international airport near the crossing point.

Who will be flying the aircraft back to Germany ? you might have fun with the ferry pilot going east than north up the coast to the closest international airport near the crossing point.
The aircraft will get TKS fitted in the states before ferry; most likely East Coast. Decision not taken yet who will be ferrying.

I don’t know the Cessna community, but in the Cirrus community a great CFII/CSIP can be had for multiple days at around $1800/day + expenses. Maybe helps budget?

The aircraft will get TKS fitted in the states before ferry; most likely East Coast. Decision not taken yet who will be ferrying.
Post a request on the Colorado Pilots Association facebook page and you may get a few CFIs interested.

coloradopilots.org

Dear Community,

Best, Hanno
what’s a frozen IR?

I don’t know the Cessna community, but in the Cirrus community a great CFII/CSIP can be had for multiple days at around $1800/day + expenses. Maybe helps budget?
Please tell me you get like like 10 hrs of flight time per day then :eek:

Back