Flight Instructor certificate renewal

John777

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Louis
So let us say, one holds CFI, CFII and MEI and forgot to renew them by doing instructor renewal course. Does he/she has to go through doing check rides for each rating or just once?

If you could quote reg relevant to this would be great!

Not positive but I think all of 'em. But again, I'm not 100% sure. Google it?

If you’re a CFI you should know how to renew, right? ;)

What you’re looking for is a reinstatement checkride. It will reinstate all the ratings at once. Or you can add on another instructor rating and accomplish the same thing.

61.199 Reinstatement requirements of an expired flight instructor certificate.

(a) Flight instructor certificates. The holder of an expired flight instructor certificate who has not complied with the flight instructor renewal requirements of §61.197 may reinstate that flight instructor certificate and ratings by filing a completed and signed application with the FAA and satisfactorily completing one of the following reinstatement requirements:

(1) A flight instructor certification practical test, as prescribed by §61.183(h), for one of the ratings held on the expired flight instructor certificate.

(2) A flight instructor certification practical test for an additional rating.

Every 2 or 3 months I have a moment of panic trying to recall when my next renewal is. Don’t want to miss that! lol

Every 2 or 3 months I have a moment of panic trying to recall when my next renewal is. Don’t want to miss that! lol

I use Gleim and they send email reminders. Others send reminders too trying to get the business.

My Dad used to stress about that...don't know why, since no other checkrides seemed to bother him.

I use Gleim and they send email reminders. Others send reminders too trying to get the business.

I’ve got the American Flyers setup and I think they remind me too, but if they don’t, I doubt the FAA would care. Therefore, I obsess a little, lol

I’ve got the American Flyers setup and I think they remind me too, but if they don’t, I doubt the FAA would care. Therefore, I obsess a little, lol

Yup, FAA never has sent me a reminder. Only ones that make money off us remind us. :D

Back