Flight Influences From Childhood

Wow I remember seeing Art Scholl at the old Reading Airshow in the 70s. Hoover had his P-51 Yellow Mustang there too, but have seen the Shrike routine a few times, which is very impressive. Yeah, back when the T-Birds and Blues used the F-4 was much better, louder, and just a big old fighter, IMO. BTW what is a MD Hornet, F-18? MD part throwing me off, or is that McDonnell Douglas?

Dad got me into control line model airplanes back in the late 70's, Flew Radio Control airplanes from mid 80's and continue to do so today.
Got my PPL in 1998. Took a 10 year flying hiatus flying as PPL and started up again in 2014. Some ole store life just got in the way. I never left flying Radio control airplanes.
Took dad on several flights. Currently taking friends and Family on Short sight seeing hops around Phoenix AZ Area. My 13 yr son has the flying bug bad.
I'm may have him take glider lessons at 14yr but I think he is not mature enough. I think my son knows just about every WWWII American airplane every flown.
He has a Passion for WarBirds. I think I was born with this flying obsession. I love all types of flight. Airplane ownership I hope to do someday. I think a Partnership would be better because I don't trust myself to maintain the airplane like I should. I really bad at maintaining my Vehicles.

Dad flew me around in his then-boss' 172 as a kid. Started flying RC at age 5. My dad's step-father (who was always grandpa to me) worked on the SR-71 at Lockheed. At age 10 or so, my dad's company built a house for a man named Dale Clarke, who at the time raced the Sea Fury "Nuthin' Special" at Reno. Dale went on to build a Yak designed to race (long story) and I was the wide-eyed kid hanging around the shop looking at cool stuff and asking questions. Later, I went to Reno (finally) and unfortunately it was 2011...I had kicked around getting my private for a long time. After being within about 60 feet of being one of the "not so lucky" at that event, I still wanted to go back and still wanted to become a pilot. That was enough for me to decide I was committed to doing so.

Wow I remember seeing Art Scholl at the old Reading Airshow in the 70s. Hoover had his P-51 Yellow Mustang there too, but have seen the Shrike routine a few times, which is very impressive. Yeah, back when the T-Birds and Blues used the F-4 was much better, louder, and just a big old fighter, IMO. BTW what is a MD Hornet, F-18? MD part throwing me off, or is that McDonnell Douglas?

You got it; McDonnell Douglas. That's an 18 in my avatar pic.

I think the F-4, the Lockheed F-104 Starfighter and the SR-71 Blackbird are the three most exciting jet aircraft I have ever watched. Today we get ever more amazing performance envelope demonstrations from Super Hornets and Raptors, doing things those older airplanes couldn't possibly match. But each of those old timers was designed for a narrow purpose and did it so well compared to the "do everything" efforts of today.

...My 13 yr son has the flying bug bad.
I'm may have him take glider lessons at 14yr but I think he is not mature enough. I think my son knows just about every WWWII American airplane every flown.
He has a Passion for WarBirds. I think I was born with this flying obsession. I love all types of flight. Airplane ownership I hope to do someday. I think a Partnership would be better because I don't trust myself to maintain the airplane like I should. I really bad at maintaining my Vehicles.

Take your son camping at Oshkosh.

In 2013 I had a pilot friend and his 11-year old son in the group that flew there with me. His son sounds a lot like yours. Crazy about anything aviation, and a walking encyclopaedia of warbirds, classics and vintage airplanes. Just wandering around the airfield with him brought an infectious joy to all of us that week. Totally changed the OSH experience for me that year.

That was the first time to OSH for both of them. He has managed to convince his Dad to take vacation time and fly their Cardinal the roughly 2500 nm round trip to OSH each of the past two years.

Back