Flight Hours....?

akpilot907

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
citabriav8tr
Anyone know of some good oppertunities for a private pilot with an instrument ticket to earn hours? Not for hire, but oppertunities such as EAA Young Eagles flights, Civil Air Patrol... Anyone from Alaska that could help a fellow alaskan pilot out? Thanks

-Blue Skies and tailwinds!:blueplane:

Fly as a safety pilot for those working on their instrument rating, and work on your commercial/cfi.

Fly as a safety pilot for those working on their instrument rating, and work on your commercial/cfi.

I think there's this chick in Unakleet who might be ready for her Instrument by now....

If you want to "earn" flight hours, talk to an FBO and ask what you can do to earn them -- fueling or washing planes, working behind the counter, whatever. If you want reduced rate hours, CAP and Young Eagles flights are two options, although you'll need the sponsorship of a fuel provider to get those cut rate hours on the YE flights, and if you join CAP solely to get cheap flying, the relationship will be short and unhappy for both you and the CAP. There really aren't many ways for a Private Pilot to build hours on the cheap, and the FAA has made it that way intentionally.

If you want to "earn" flight hours, talk to an FBO and ask what you can do to earn them -- fueling or washing planes, working behind the counter, whatever. If you want reduced rate hours, CAP and Young Eagles flights are two options, although you'll need the sponsorship of a fuel provider to get those cut rate hours on the YE flights, and if you join CAP solely to get cheap flying, the relationship will be short and unhappy for both you and the CAP. There really aren't many ways for a Private Pilot to build hours on the cheap, and the FAA has made it that way intentionally.

Thanks Cap'n Rob! "FAA, what a bunch of nice folks" - Said by no pilot... EVER!

Working at the local FBO in exchange for flight hours is a great deal until the FBO goes out of business, the manager leaves, you are injured, ect. Then you just have been working for free.

Ron said:
There really aren't many ways for a Private Pilot to build hours on the cheap, and the FAA has made it that way intentionally.
??..Why would you throw a zinger at the FAA ? ?

You are in AK asking the internet about GA flying opportunities, that is your problem.

I started flying for Animal Rescue Flights. They and Pilots'n'Paws are great options. Then I started my own.

You have more small airplane traffic then the rest of the country. Gotta be something local moving you can sit in or crap work that puts you around flying opportunity.

Back