Flight for Active Military Soldier Requested

Proud_US_Marine_Sister

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Proud_US_Marine_Sister
Hi,

I'm at the end of my options and I was referred to this site.

My brother is an Active Duty US Marine. He is being given a "long" (3-4 day) weekend to fly home next weekend (2/18/11 - 2/20/11). He is located in Jacksonville, NC. Home is in the Poconos, PA. (Local airports include: Newark, NJ, Philadelphia, PA, Scranton, PA, Wilkes Bare, PA, Allentown, PA, Stewart Airfield (Newburgh, NY), and any of the NYC airports.)

It is likely that he will not be able to come home again before being deployed oversees, and this may be the last time I'll be able to see him for who knows how long. :sad:

Please let me know if anyone is able to help. I know this is short notice, but any help that you can offer would be so appreciated.

Thank you.

Niki
historicaldancer@gmail.com

Niki, unfortunately, I am too far away. If I lived on the east coast, I would happily help.
Good luck, and wish your brother all my love.

Uncle of a proud active duty Marine.

Alan

Dangit. I'm going to be traveling for business during that time, otherwise I'd jump on this in a heartbeat.

I may be able to take the day and p/u in salisbury and make the run to either AVP or 9N3.

I'm working Sat/Sun 19/20, so unless he can wait until Monday (President's Day, right?) to head south, I'd be able to help only for the northbound trip on Fri the 18th. Since Gary and Dan are both based north of me, I'd probably take the pickup at Jacksonville (about 2 hours each way for me) and hand off here at KSBY. I'm assuming pickup would be at Albert J. Ellis (KOAJ) because Epley's too short for my taste in the Tiger (2400 turf).

I'm working Sat/Sun 19/20, so unless he can wait until Monday (President's Day, right?) to head south, I'd be able to help only for the northbound trip on Fri the 18th. Since Gary and Dan are both based north of me, I'd probably take the pickup at Jacksonville (about 2 hours each way for me) and hand off here at KSBY. I'm assuming pickup would be at Albert J. Ellis (KOAJ) because Epley's too short for my taste in the Tiger (2400 turf).

Sounds like a plan -- I'll know for certain by Monday.

I an probably grab the cherokee and get him from Salisbury area up to the Philly area or from the Philly area up to the Poconos or probably the south bound with the same stops. Keep in mind the Cherokee is VFR only. My local pilots group may be able to help as well.

The toughest part will be getting him back from the Midatlanic area to NC on Sunday.

Last edited:
I'm too far away to be of any use, but I'd be glad to throw in for some gas. Y'all let me know.

Now, Counselor, you know it wouldn't be legal for any of us to accept that written, public offer.:wink2:

True, true...

Ron, what advice could you give, in your professional capacity, on the rules for reimbursement that I might be able to pay you for? :idea:

Since the rider can pay his pro-rata share of costs (right?), if he were to receive some walkin' around spending cash sort of out of the blue .... ???

Ah, yes. This is just like an Angel flight op, then.

Let's summarize:

Ron's available on Fri and maybe Monday for SBY-OAJ.
Gary's checking on his availability for one day SBY-Pennsylvania.
Dan's checking on airplane availability for one day SBY-Pennsylvania.
Adam may be available for SBY-Pennsylvania.
Nobody's available for SBY-OAJ on Sunday.

I'm going to try to contact Sis to find out about Sunday vs Monday for the return trip.

What happens if the weather is not flyable for his return trip?

Update from Sis:

He doesn't have to be back until Tuesday, so a Monday return is OK (which means I could do the return run if nobody else chimes in on that, although I wouldn't mind only having to do one way). However, he may not be available for pickup at OAJ until after 4 pm on Friday. If so, he wouldn't be at SBY before 6 pm (which could make it easier for someone who has to work on Friday to take him the second leg).

More info as it develops...

I can bag work friday day, I can't make the friday night flight. I could pick up saturday morning on the way home from the dog rescue (waiting on confirmation from MAESR).

I may also be available for the monday flight. I have off for presidents day but have to work out some ground transportation for Mary since her car is going in the shop.

I can bag work friday day, I can't make the friday night flight. I could pick up saturday morning on the way home from the dog rescue (waiting on confirmation from MAESR).

I may also be available for the monday flight. I have off for presidents day but have to work out some ground transportation for Mary since her car is going in the shop.
Sis confirms late afternoon as earliest departure on Friday (4 pm for sure, 3 pm possible), so we're talking 5-6 pm by the time I get him to SBY.

Oops.

What I meant to say is, "I'll be glad to throw for a steak dinner in recognition of your thoughtful provision of aid for an honored member of the armed services."

Update from Sis:

He doesn't have to be back until Tuesday, so a Monday return is OK (which means I could do the return run if nobody else chimes in on that, although I wouldn't mind only having to do one way).

Possible I could do a Monday (21st.) flight from any of the Pocono airports to points south. I'm VFR only, so weather is an issue.

Any idea of where home is? Closest airport?

Gary

Update from Sis:
My bro was able to get another flight home. But, thank you so much for your assistance and the service you provide to military personnel and their families. It means so much to bring them home.

I'm too far away to be of any use, but I'd be glad to throw in for some gas. Y'all let me know.
No doubt that was gas for your car in case you had to scratch the flight and make the journey on the ground.

Back