Flight following

kevin waters

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
kevin waters
I don’t know if this will ever be read by atc, but thank you for such an awesome job. I’m a 100 hour pilot in a 172 cessna , I started in mesquite Tx, picked up flight following after take off, they guided me right over dfw class b airport (which was really awesome), all the way to kama Amarillo international, the whole experience was extremely user friendly kind and courteous, as well as atc at kama, I will definitely continue to use this service.

Is this a confession for busting Bravo airspace, or an exuberant endorsement of Flight Following in the Flight Following forum?

Had clearance into bravo with flight following, very user friendly

As a 130 hour pilot I share the sentiment. Never had a bad interaction with ATC. But I have heard them chewing out a pilot or two who wasn’t familiar with the KSLC Bravo landmarks. When in doubt ask for vectors.

Flying around Houston area I almost always use Flight Following and the controllers have always been great.

MEM Center has always been top notch with me. Same with JAX Center on our way to the beaches. Very helpful. Dallas kinda sucks though. I used to fly in to KGPM for work meetings and it was a crap shoot getting in. I was not surprised when I got the "remain clear of Class Bravo Airspace" when I am about to enter on FF and handed off..... I've though about more than once saying "Unable" and see what they say!!!

Had clearance into bravo with flight following, very user friendly

On the same flight, ATL Approach vectored me away so I wouldn't clip the outer edge of their Bravo; a lityle later, CLT Approach cleared me in to theirs. But it's what ATL does every time I come close . . . . This image has my outbound leg to RDU, which is much further west than the shown homeward leg from near the coast that stayed outside on its own.

Screenshot_20180920-221608.jpg

Screenshot_20180920-221547.jpg

On the same flight, ATL Approach vectored me away so I wouldn't clip the outer edge of their Bravo; a lityle later, CLT Approach cleared me in to theirs. But it's what ATL does every time I come close . . . . This image has my outbound leg to RDU, which is much further west than the shown homeward leg from near the coast that stayed outside on its own.

I take it you don't have an autopilot?:rollercoaster:

Contact Jeff at zfwtours@gmail.com. Tell him that you'd like to be included in his next tour of Fort Worth Center.

You'll get a great explanation of how the NAS works, plus lots of tips and local knowledge about how Regional Approach and Center fit together and how best to get the responses from them that you want. (You can also tour Regional Approach, but the Center is much better set-up to host visitors, and you'll learn more there.)

. . . . This image has my outbound leg to RDU, which is much further west than the shown homeward leg from near the coast that stayed outside on its own.....

Do you mean south? I don’t see anything in that pic that is westerer than another. I do see a route that is southerer than another.

Do you mean south? I don’t see anything in that pic that is westerer than another. I do see a route that is southerer than another.

My route home was further south than my route out, because I flew to RDU and home from the coast. RDU is further west, which angled through the ATL Bravo while the trip home from the coast was slightly outside.

I take it you don't have an autopilot?:rollercoaster:

Gotta hand fly sometime. The trip out was more "wanderey" than the trip home, even though I was significantly more tired. Something about atrophy of unused skills???

Was this last Saturday mid day-ish?

I was flying home and heard a Cessna en-route to Amarillo.

ATC was all "You want to go over DFW or around?"
Pilot was "Well Whatever is easier for you. I don't want to complicate things for you"
ATC "It's no trouble, I can send you over the top or keep you north of the Lewisville lake dam"

Me: nearly clicked my mic to say "Go over it dude"

Then ATC sent the Cessna over DFW through the class B.

I don’t know if this will ever be read by atc, but thank you for such an awesome job. I’m a 100 hour pilot in a 172 cessna , I started in mesquite Tx, picked up flight following after take off, they guided me right over dfw class b airport (which was really awesome), all the way to kama Amarillo international, the whole experience was extremely user friendly kind and courteous, as well as atc at kama, I will definitely continue to use this service.
Guided you? Glad you had a good experience - hope you were navigating. .

I always use it at night, they have the time and I have someone right on the other end of a mike click if things go south...

Last edited:
Was this last Saturday mid day-ish?

I was flying home and heard a Cessna en-route to Amarillo.

ATC was all "You want to go over DFW or around?"
Pilot was "Well Whatever is easier for you. I don't want to complicate things for you"
ATC "It's no trouble, I can send you over the top or keep you north of the Lewisville lake dam"

Me: nearly clicked my mic to say "Go over it dude"

Then ATC sent the Cessna over DFW through the class B.

You remember when WE went over DFW?

You were like, can we do that?

I was like, pssssh.... my airplane. ***Dallas approach, 6papacharlie request DFW transition two thousand fife hundred.

They be like, ***ooohh....6 PC in the airspace, we will clear you a route. Dallas Exec for dinner tonight?**

I be like Yuuuup!

They be all, *** No prob man. We be ya wingman on this one. Approved as requested. Take some baddasss selfies!**

You remember when WE went over DFW?

You were like, can we do that?

I was like, pssssh.... my airplane. ***Dallas approach, 6papacharlie request DFW transition two thousand fife hundred.

They be like, ***ooohh....6 PC in the airspace, we will clear you a route. Dallas Exec for dinner tonight?**

I be like Yuuuup!

They be all, *** No prob man. We be ya wingman on this one. Approved as requested. Take some baddasss selfies!**

I saved the live atc archive audio and use it is my ringtone.

Back