Flight Following & Two Planes (Same Destination, Same Time)

So long story short, 2 inexperienced pilot, no formation flying experience, fly as two separate flights. I like that idea

Bingo! :)

But don’t rule out looking for some folks to learn some formation stuff from. It’s a blast. Totally different thing than you’re used to.

Having a good lead is very helpful. Having a good instructor is awesome too.

If you ever decide to go to OSH, joining one of the mass arrivals, all of them (that I’m aware of) do scattered national (and required or you don’t fly in with them) super basic formation training, even if you don’t want to travel or can’t find a FAST training session.

Since you’re flying Cessnas, you’d be with Cessnas2Oshkosh and they keep it pretty tame. The Bonanza group flies tighter formations and has more extensive training.

@TeenDoc here can usually provide info on C2O, he’s a long time supporter and one of the coordinators. Hi Gil! :)

Sorry about the late response...I had a hunch the ceiling tonight would lift faster than the TAF...and just finished a "Flight of One" :) There was a biplane ag plane working out of our airport tonight...big sucker!!!!

And my response was typed before several responses but sent after (duh). So I was asking some questions already answered.

I think what I am hearing is that I "could" do "Flight of Two", nothing stopping me from a FAR point of view. However I also have zero training or even experience in something like this. So before I put the cart in front of the horse...get some training.

Also, I guess I was trying to ask for the minimum separation where ATC will see both planes, each with a unique xpdr code. Wasn't sure if they need to be 100 ft apart or a 1000ft or a mile.

Without doubt, I believe both pilots should discuss it thoroughly in advance (all topics).

Maybe so both planes can depart and arrive at the same time and not be a "flight", they could agree to fly a fixed distance offset from the magenta line. Say 1/2 mile. When calling in for FF, explain the situation. Maybe the lead plane could be on the right side of the track and just slightly ahead, like it's passing on the right. If all goes well at least the second pilot on the left side of the track would have a good visual. But at the same time, both just fly your individual flight. If the other needs to divert it will be heard on the ATC channel.

And someone already mentioned faster planes going first..makes sense except if the planes cruise at similar speeds then kinda weird.

Or maybe just purposely stagger by 5 miles or around 2-3 minutes. Still close enough to chat on 122.75 and if the trailing an diverts the lead plane doesn't have to backtrack to far to meet at the divert.

One could be REALLY pedantic and wonder how a civilian would meet the legal requirements of Mode-C veils, etc... when doing formation work with multiple aircraft with transponders off...

MilAv can do what they want. Civilians perhaps can’t. But most do it the MilAv “way”.

The other way to really find out is to call the TRACON or Center and ask their preference. Nothing wrong with that if it’s a long XC where Flight Following is desired.

ATC can always ask a civilian to STOP squawking for any reason. Technically, although nobody really cares, a civilian pilot can’t turn off the transponder in certain airspace.

But, it’s done. And nobody complains too much on either side of the scope. Biggest and most important part is just communicating to everyone what’s happening so everyone’s on the same sheet music. :)

While it does conflict with the transponder requirements in the FARs, the .65 gives them authority whether it’s civ or military.

5-2-12
You may instruct an aircraft operating on an assigned code to change transponder to “standby” or “low sensitivity” position:

b. When necessary to reduce clutter in a multi-target area, or to reduce “ring-around” or other phenomena, provided you instruct the aircraft to return to “normal sensitivity” position as soon as possible thereafter.

Also, I guess I was trying to ask for the minimum separation where ATC will see both planes, each with a unique xpdr code. Wasn't sure if they need to be 100 ft apart or a 1000ft or a mile.

You can assume they’ll see you right up until you collide these days, mostly. They call it “targets merging”. Not a good day for a controller.

Maybe so both planes can depart and arrive at the same time and not be a "flight", they could agree to fly a fixed distance offset from the magenta line. Say 1/2 mile. When calling in for FF, explain the situation. Maybe the lead plane could be on the right side of the track and just slightly ahead, like it's passing on the right. If all goes well at least the second pilot on the left side of the track would have a good visual. But at the same time, both just fly your individual flight. If the other needs to divert it will be heard on the ATC channel.

Now you’re thinkin’! ;)

What you’re really likely to find is even in identical types, loading differences (weight) and slight power differences will mean if you’re both boring along at full throttle, you won’t be doing the same speed.

That’s one of the first topics of discussion in a safety brief for different types flying together... what speed? If one aircraft is firewalled and the other is hanging on with the stall horn blaring and flaps extended, then things get really difficult.

(Think about that the next time you see those “Heritage” flights of say a P-51 and a jet fighter. The jet is usually in trail, flaps hanging out, and the P-51 is pedal to the metal in the lead just trying to go fast enough the wingmen don’t have to break off. Ha.)

And someone already mentioned faster planes going first..makes sense except if the planes cruise at similar speeds then kinda weird.

Even a one knot difference when you’re hanging on someone’s wing is a BIG difference. :) First time you try formation flying you’ll think you’re going to break your throttle off with all the movement. Haha. You learn to see the visual cues if your getting “sucked” (behind) or “acute” (ahead) from a simple easy standard “in-trail” position and learn to stare really hard at a point on the lead’s airplane to see if it’s moving in ANY direction and nudging the controls and throttle to make it stop.

The first time you try it you’ll usually go blowing right past the lead on the join up unless the lead is a smart old codger and starts a turn away from you as you’re about to blow by (putting you further on the outside of the turn and effectively slowing you down), then warning you they’re going to make a gradual turn back into you as your instructor tells you to keep slowing to maintain the position.

It’s very interesting and some of the most hand-eye coordination flying you’ll ever do if you get s chance. A really good wingman can widen their field of view from that “point” and often see the other pilot making tiny control deflections if they have good eyes and counteract the change. But that’s really really hard to do.

Or maybe just purposely stagger by 5 miles or around 2-3 minutes. Still close enough to chat on 122.75 and if the trailing an diverts the lead plane doesn't have to backtrack to far to meet at the divert.

The takeoffs themselves will handle that if the fastest aircraft is in the lead at takeoff.

@Clark1961 @murphey and I all departed a lunch run simultaneously once with no real coordination and no plans to formation fly, but we were all talking to Denver Center coming out of Nebraska one day. We did the takeoffs backward, not really meaning to, and as I gained on @murphey, @Clark1961 gained on me, and Center was gettin’ a little nervous. We told them we had all gone to lunch together and then while Clark blasted on past us with his turbo... the remaining two of us weren’t going to the same airport so we were slowly diverging targets anyway, but I knew I had to go further to get home so I told the controller I’d climb another thousand feet.

That’s always an option too, vertical separation. Just pick a couple different altitudes and you’ll never hit in cruise, of course. Just watch out for your buddies during the descent, especially if they’re below and ahead and you get some extra speed when you push the nose down. :)

I had the good fortune of a primary instructor who wasn’t military trained but was up to speed on formation flying and some friends who were crazy enough to brief and fly next to us for cross counties for lunches and stuff. Eventually we even did a video of us doing spins from Denver to Cheyenne... two Skyhawks just puttering along. We were slightly faster and they agreed to slow up a bit even after each spin so we could re-join and their backseater could find ya again with the enormous rented VHS camera that took up the rest of the back seat. Haha.

I’ve lost my copy of the video. Instructor said he found his a while back and then had to go find a VHS player to play it on. Hahaha. He’s not sure where it is again, but maybe someday we’ll get our crap together and convert it to digital and post it somewhere. Annnnncient history there. :)

Most boring video ever probably. Ten minutes of catching up to the lead airplane after every spin. Hahahahaha. Then we’d be alongside and slow down and over we’d go again, dropping away... :)

While it does conflict with the transponder requirements in the FARs, the .65 gives them authority whether it’s civ or military.

5-2-12
You may instruct an aircraft operating on an assigned code to change transponder to “standby” or “low sensitivity” position:

b. When necessary to reduce clutter in a multi-target area, or to reduce “ring-around” or other phenomena, provided you instruct the aircraft to return to “normal sensitivity” position as soon as possible thereafter.

Yup. They can ask for it.

I was joking a bit that the pilot can’t CHOOSE legally to turn it off in certain airspace. Controller can always tell us to, though. :)

Not that anybody really cares. If you call up as a flight and only have one squawking, most controllers don’t mind that at all (or even prefer it). :)

Were I going to do this I'd plan it as a loose formation flight. Personally, I think it much safer. The two pilots brief the plan beforehand. Take off speed, cruise speed. landing speed, altitude, course, aborts and everything else. The lead aircraft has the heavy lifting, lead keeps on course, altitude, and speed. Not the easiest thing to do if you've not done it before. The airplane in trail keeps the lead in position at all times. That means speeding up on the outside of turns and slowing down inside turns. The trail pilot should have a good long look at the aircraft from 50 feet back and 50 feet to the side, and should stay right there 50 feet above or below depending on the aircraft configuration.

The lead ship broadcasts all radio calls and handles the transponder, trail shuts the transponder off. All radio calls start with "flight of two". Both should monitor the pilot to pilot frequency at all times. I wouldn't do it without a right seat passenger in the lead ship to help watch out for traffic and keep an eye on the trailing ship. Develop the plan, brief the plan, fly the plan, debrief the plan. Keep it simple including velocity changes. Takeoff, climb out and landing speeds should all be about the same as as close to it as operations allow.

My guess is that if two airplanes call ATC for flight following and they're too close to work as "not a flight", ATC will give them instructions to separate an appropriate distance before providing flight following.

Yup. They can ask for it.

I was joking a bit that the pilot can’t CHOOSE legally to turn it off in certain airspace. Controller can always tell us to, though. :)

Not that anybody really cares. If you call up as a flight and only have one squawking, most controllers don’t mind that at all (or even prefer it). :)

Yeah, one is usually preferred. Only times we issued a second squawk was for non standard departures; “Blade 11 cleared to.....squawk 4321, dash 4 squawk 4300.” A pain to seperate with 4 aircraft strung out like a slinky maybe 6-7 miles. Once joined, trail goes to standby.

If planing a formation I’d make sure everyone is squawking until told not to do so by ATC though.

Back