Flight Following to Multiple Airports in a Short Time Period

When you guys are talking about filing flight plans, I imagine you mean filing AND activating them? I always file a flight plan... takes little time using Foreflight, but I don't activate it unless I get denied flight following.

I file the night before, with LHM, you get a text 30 minutes before your sched departure and scheduled arrival.. all you do is click the link they send you and "CONFIRM" and you're done... Do it always, even when planning to get FF...

Bob G mentioned in another thread that ATC would soon have access to VFR flight plans. Possibly it's starting to be implemented in some areas.

Maybe. The FSS briefers I have talked to at LockMart/Leidos are getting VFR flight plans in ICAO format right now, so the capability exists.

Bob

... However, I wish to use my next 3hr xc to visit 12 or so airports (all uncontrolled excluding my base), and feel that the jumping on and off with center would only serve to be an inconvenience to them, with most legs being 20nm or less. Thoughts?

If the controller isn't busy, tell him your intentions to multi-stop and ask "nicely" that you'd like an IFR type "Through route" to save them from re-entering all the info again ... I get these all the time on long XC flights for fuel stops under FF and they have approved every time and thanked me, except once ... where the controller said just to re-enter the system normally after fueling and squawk VFR.

Huh. I don't make a habit of it, but I've had a couple times where radio coverage was spotty and lost contact with my FF controller. I would generally, in that case, transmit in the blind that I was going VFR and switch to 1200. What prevented anyone from chasing after me? Likely they heard me when I couldn't hear them? They noted the switch to 1200?

You can prevent that by asking someone on freq to relay for you ... it's highly unlikely that there isn't something above you that can hear you and CONFIRM ATC got the message.

You can prevent that by asking someone on freq to relay for you ... it's highly unlikely that there isn't something above you that can hear you and CONFIRM ATC got the message.

On what frequency? Guard? The folks above would generally be on another, usually unpublished, frequency.

On what frequency? Guard? The folks above would generally be on another, usually unpublished, frequency.

The controller will ask another aircraft above to try and contact the aircraft on the last assigned freq. Happened the other day around CHA. Approach lost radar and comms on a helicopter so they terminated radar services. The helicopter gave no reply so they had a regional give him a call on approach freq (125.1) to make sure he got the acknowledgment.

The controller will ask another aircraft above to try and contact the aircraft on the last assigned freq. Happened the other day around CHA. Approach lost radar and comms on a helicopter so they terminated radar services. The helicopter gave no reply so they had a regional give him a call on approach freq (125.1) to make sure he got the acknowledgment.

Definitely had that happen. That I can deal with it. Just don't know how I'd initiate such a communication reliably.

Usually, when you lose contact with ATC, you can hear one-sided conversations. Other aircraft need not be above, but can be in a better location. For instance, flying around Carquinez Bridge below 2500 or so, you'll lose contact with NorCal. You'll still have contact with anyone over San Pablo Bay to the south, pretty much anywhere around Mt Diablo (except directly behind it), and probably the north shelf of Oakland's Class C. SOMEone will hear you.

To get to the "unpublished" frequencies, you need to be over 10,000 MSL locally -- for instance, over the top of the Class B. Center frequencies are generally published on IFR charts, but Approach only is for B and C transitions.

And Approach/Center is only going to freak out if they also lose you on radar. If they can see you're merrily flying along and not descending, they won't think you crashed. If, on the other hand, you stop talking to them and disappear off radar (such as, when you land somewhere), they will not be comfortable with that. Now, searching doesn't mean they immediately wake us up. They try other stuff first. Like asking other aircraft in the area to relay messages. Maybe phoning nearby towers to ask if you're there. Calling the FBO at your destination. And so on.

You can also try going back to your previous frequency. Sometimes they can still hear you.

You can use Guard if nothing else works. You might reach a DIFFERENT ATC facility. Like, at Carquinez, you could probably reach Napa, Concord, or Travis towers. Or any of the local aircraft that might be monitoring like they should. Some of us actually do that.

Last edited:

The FF frequency that you're on ... like indicated earlier you'll hear someone transmitting, memorized their call up then respond (e.g. Southwest airlines)

You: "Southwest Flight 1888, request relay to ATC N12345 is cancelling flight following"

Near Guadalupe Peak in my area if you don't climb to 10,500 you're probably going to be making this call quite often if on a direct line to Carlsbad NM.

Definitely had that happen. That I can deal with it. Just don't know how I'd initiate such a communication reliably.

See above

Back