Flight Following Shoreline Trip?

Kevin87

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin87
I had a quick question for you guys. I do not fly cross-country often, and don't really use flight following very much.

I fly in the Chicago area, and love taking people on shoreline flights. Can I request flight following to get help Navigating through ORD and MDW airspace?

If so, would I just tell them I am doing a lake shore flight when requesting the flight following?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes and it's a great idea given it's a sight-seeing attraction. It'll definitely facilitate your transitions through Class B. Just let them know where you're going and when you're coming back and they should be able to help you out, traffic permitting.

Always have a plan B if they can't get you an entrance into either airspace.

Better to ask for flight following than not. Get all the help you can.

I had a quick question for you guys. I do not fly cross-country often, and don't really use flight following very much.

I fly in the Chicago area, and love taking people on shoreline flights. Can I request flight following to get help Navigating through ORD and MDW airspace?

If so, would I just tell them I am doing a lake shore flight when requesting the flight following?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, FF along the Chicago shore line, is pretty easy ( but you may not get it initiated by ORD it if they are busy ). I normally get it from another facility and get handed off to ORD (like Milwaukee when coming down the shoreline from the north and I think it was MDW from the south)

2 cents worth of advice = If you are on freq with ORD Pay attention and follow altitude assignments close with requests to change before you vacate, the controllers seem pretty particular when monitoring along the shoreline and I have heard a few guys get reprimanded for 200ft off.

Also you should plan on staying under Bravo ORD instead of asking to wander into it (havent done it but Im thinking it may be denied) but MDW seems more relaxed so long as you are not requesting to cross in bound traffic close to the airport. But If I remember MDW airspace does not even go all the way to the lake shore so it shouldn't be an issue.

I just did the lake shore route this last Saturday, both going north in the morning, and going south in the evening. I didn't have trouble getting flight following. Do not expect that they will let you enter the Bravo. They made it clear to me to stay out. If you are outside of the bravo, altitude is at your discretion. Keep your head on a swivel, be clear with your radio communications, listen for your call sign, and have fun.

They will most likely want you at 1900 or below especially if MDW is in certain runway configurations. Forget about getting into Bravo.

Awesome this is great information. Looks like I may try this out this weekend.

I guess I will just contact Chicago approach and give it a go.

Back