Flight Following into Class B

First time I flew to KIWS, and over the golf course, I wondered if any aircraft on final got hit by a golf ball.

There’s a giant Top Golf under the pattern at KAPA now. I jokingly call the giant nets “the Cessna catcher”. Hopefully it never gets tested.

Hopefully the ride home tomorrow will go just as well!
It should.

Have the correct Departure frequency, 123.80, set in the standby slot, then once you are 1500 FT AGL, flip flop it to active and call them up to request flight following. When they respond or when they ask, let them know you've departed West Houston, what heading you're on, what current altitude, what destination, and your desired cruise altitude. They will respond with the transponder code, then once identified on the scope, radar contact.

There is also a sign at the end of the runway with the Clearance Delivery Frequency, 121.15 . You might be able to use that to ask for Flight Following. The transmissions should go like...
"Houston TRACON, Bugmasher 123AB at West Houston"
"Bugmasher 123AB, Houston TRACON, go ahead"
"TRACON, Bugmasher 123AB is at Runway 15 (or 33) and would like to request Flight Following to Podunk, altitude _____"
"Bugmasher 123AB, squawk 2345. Fly runway heading until XX altitude, Contact Departure on 123.8, remain VFR."

Then after you take off, follow their directions for what heading you were to fly, and at 1000 to 1500 feet or so AGL, switch to 123.8,

"Houston Departure, Bugmasher 123AB, just departed West Houston, Runway heading, climbing one thousand five hundred for XXXX"
Shortly afterwards, you'll get "Radar Contact" and vectoring toward your departure.

I really liked that video, especially the multiple camera angles. Nice work!
Thanks, Ryan. Much appreciated! Actually, it was our second attempt at that flight. We wanted to live stream the whole thing, but couldn't keep a cell signal. So we had to go back and fly it again, video only.

The flight out went great. Used AggieMike's advice in regard to Clearance Delivery.

Interestingly, Houston Departure gave me clearance to go ahead and climb to my cruise altitude of 9,500 almost immediately after clearance into Class B. Saved me alot of minutes on the trip being not only cleared into Class Bravo but going ahead and getting up to cruise altitude almost immediately after departure.

Definitely a better option than running around below the shelf trying to stay clear of Bravo.

BTW - West Houston airport gives away pens with every frequency you need to get in or out of their airport. Pretty neat - but I definitely needed my "cheaters" to make them out!

Interestingly, Houston Departure gave me clearance to go ahead and climb to my cruise altitude of 9,500 almost immediately after clearance into Class B.
The higher they can get you asap, the more airliners then can squeeze under you into the two major airports. If you requested something like 3500 for cruising altitude, they would have kept you at 2000 all the way. :)

Back