Flight Dispatcher - Without the coursework

labbadabba

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
labbadabba
Talking with an airline pilot buddy of mine, he suggested that I should get certified as a Flight Dispatcher saying all I would have to do is basically take the ATP written.

That didn't sound correct to me but honestly, I don't know much about it.

As it turns out, a new job I'm in the process of interviewing for requires that the applicant be a pilot (check) and preferably a flight dispatcher. So it got me thinking, I self-studied both for my PPL and IFR tickets. If I studied my backside off and passed the Flight Dispatcher exam (ATP written?) would I then be qualified? Or is there somthing similar to IACRA where I'd need some sort of endorsement from an examiner?

You need the take a practical as well. I hear the written is very similar to the ATP written.

Yea I'm not seeing any hour requirements but I'd imagine it would be pretty difficult to do a self study and pass the written and practical.

Yea I'm not seeing any hour requirements but I'd imagine it would be pretty difficult to do a self study and pass the written and practical.
Jeppesen has an online dispatchers course. There are others, I'm sure, just don't know of them.

hmmm... things have changed... I took (and passed) that written back in 1984 or so... which may as well have been 100 years ago because I don't remember anything like ATP knowledge-requirements... IIRC, back then it was much like the PPL written, heavy on the weather and W&B stuff... Gave up the idea because the starting pay was terrible...

Yes, there is a practical as well. It essentially entails dispatching a simulated flight given a set of parameters from the examiner. I'm of the understanding the Dispatcher Certificate is challenging to obtain, but worthwhile if that's the specific job path you want to follow. There are dispatchers at my current employer that have said if they didn't already have a job that required the cert, they would not have pursued it.

Also, I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment, but I believe the FARs outline a few scenarios where prior experience can be used to obtain FSDO and/or FAA blessing to become certified (pt 121 captain, navigator, etc...)

What are the responsibilities of a flight dispatcher?

What are the responsibilities of a flight dispatcher?

Although I'm not a dispatcher, I've done a fair amount of research pondering entering the field, so here's the cliff notes version of what I know:

The dispatcher plans flight route and required fuel load and inputs it into the system, and subsequently releases the flight for departure. The captain then reviews the data at the gate and proceeds with the flight. Enroute, the captain and dispatcher share responsibility for the safe execution of the flight. The dispatcher will update the crew with weather, notams, and any other pertinent info concerning the flight.

Again, just a nutshell and I'm sure there is much more to it.

The one requirement that may be tricky is the 5 hours of observer time. I don't know if my flying time in the ol' 172 would count...

The one requirement that may be tricky is the 5 hours of observer time. I don't know if my flying time in the ol' 172 would count...
That's only for 121 ops IIRC correctly. You don't need to do that to get the dispatcher license.

A guy does a seminar on this at OSH. The guy that flew the Amsoil racer. Sounded very interesting until I asked a couple corporate buddies. They said it was no picnic. Lots of hassles to fix and ****ed off people all around. Too much like construction management these days and I had my full of that crap after 30 years....

Last edited:
I guess to be clear, the position I'm applying for isn't for a dispatcher per se, but involves flight dispatch software. They're basically looking for a SME.

Friend of mine just went thru the in-person Jepp program (someone else paid for it) Example - flight planning for the Private, on paper (no software allowed) make it 5x more detailed. Each leg requires climb, cruise, descend numbers, based on weight at that time, etc. This is someone with power, helicopter, CFII, multi, ATP, A&P/IA, etc. Be prepared, lots of studying.

Back