Flight delay question

American bought(through various mergers) America West, which when I was travelling for work was the only airline where almost every round trip had at least one leg significantly delayed or canelled. Nice to see American following in their footsteps. And don't get me started on the 'remote terminal' at LAX.

For the record, AA is shortening seat pitch to less than Spirit’s cheap seats. Definite race to the bottom.

Where did you read this? The seats in AA’s worst interior (737 MAX8, and being retrofitted to the -800s) have a pitch of 30. Main Cabin Extra increases the pitch to 33. Spirit’s pitch is 28, the minimum allowable by regulation. AA couldn’t reduce its pitch to less than Spirit’s even if it wanted to, which at least at the moment - seems to consider 30 to be the minimum.

https://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blo...th-the-most-legroom-in-economy-and-the-least/

Last edited:
Just curious when customers get treated badly like this...

If one were to go to small claims court what would happen ? Also, what would determine what small claims court it would be held in, as if is were to be held in Miami and one were just passing through, it obviously would not pay to come back with one or two hundred dollars at stake.

I believe a corporation has to be represented by a lawyer, which would make them pay a $200 claim out of common sense, it would seem.

If one were to go to small claims court what would happen ? Also, what would determine what small claims court it would be held in, as if is were to be held in Miami and one were just passing through, it obviously would not pay to come back with one or two hundred dollars at stake.

I believe a corporation has to be represented by a lawyer, which would make them pay a $200 claim out of common sense, it would seem.
The contract of carriage probably includes mandatory arbitration (which costs much more than small claims court and, in simple cases, much more than hiring a lawyer for regular civil court as well), a choice of venue (probably in their corporate headquarters or in a place like Emmaville, Minnesota, population 4, where nobody wants to go), and limits on their liability (including no claim for anything other than failing to deliver you within 500 miles of your planned destination, at any time at all, with a pulse and at least half of your limbs, along with a waiver of consequential damages like your hotel room and missed meeting). If you don't like those terms, you didn't have to buy the ticket. And if you think those terms are legally unconscionable, you need to convince the $1,500/hr arbitration panel in Emmaville of it, with no right to appeal to an actual court of law and with most court decisions saying that at least the arbitration clause is not unconscionable.

Your recourse is to vote with your pocketbook. I've sat and read a contract of carriage while I was waiting for an airline to find a pilot and an airplane for the route at the same time (day 1, no pilot; day 2, no plane), and the only satisfaction I got was making the airline print out its contract for carriage and spend a few cents on toner and paper.

Last edited:

If one were to go to small claims court what would happen ?

Mostl likely nothing. Seems to be up to the airlines...

https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/flight-delays-cancellations

This is the exeption: Compensation is required by U.S. law only when certain passengers are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold.

Although, I think there is some liability for bags/luggage, injury, etc.

Recommend you all take the time to read the contract of carriage next time you book an airline ticket. It is enlightening.

Back