Flight Aware

nickporter15

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Nick
Foreflight

Does anyone know the legality of using Flight Aware and other aviation apps in the cockpit? If you wish to use flight aware, do you have to be connected to the internet while using it during flight? I have a second gen iPad, but it is the wi-fi model without 3G connection.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the legality of using Flight Aware and other aviation apps in the cockpit? If you wish to use flight aware, do you have to be connected to the internet while using it during flight? I have a second gen iPad, but it is the wi-fi model without 3G connection.
Yes.

Why would you want to use it in flight?

Well the first time I saw someone use it in flight was my DPE during my checkride and it just seemed pretty convenient. No fumbling with paper, and having your flight plan all pulled up on it as well.

You may be thinking of Fore flight.:D

Well the first time I saw someone use it in flight was my DPE during my checkride and it just seemed pretty convenient. No fumbling with paper, and having your flight plan all pulled up on it as well.

It is nice to see your IFR clearance before you call up clearance delievery, but now foreflight gives me that info automatically.

Most likely... flightaware will tell you where you were five minutes ago...
If you're lucky -- might be a lot longer. It's not of much use in flight to help with real-time navigation, situational awareness, or traffic even if you have internet access in flight.

As for EFB's like ForeFlight, the FAA is perfectly happy with noncommercial operators using them for their chart and other publication needs, including on practical tests, although they will be unhappy if you don't have an independent backup (another handheld device, data in a panel-mounted system, paper charts, whatever). Using them as navigational tools is also OK for VFR operations (just like any other handheld GPS), but for IFR, they are only allowed to be used as "aids to situational awareness", not your primary navigational tool used to comply with your IFR clearance.

With fore flight, you do not have to be connected unless you want weather. The moving map and afd are loaded on your device. It is pretty much your flight bag in a tablet. It's ideal to also have it on your phone as a backup, or use ff as a backup to your on board gps.

Just purchase the stratus ,for Foreflight . Nothing could be easier.

Just purchase the stratus ,for Foreflight . Nothing could be easier.

Yep. It sure is nice to hold your finger over an airport in route or your destination and get the weather, winds aloft, etc.

Back