Flight across Oregon

Bob Bement

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Bement
Yesterday I flew from Vale Oregon to Lenhardts airport near Portland. It was a great flight over the width of the state. When I got to John Day I could see all the Cascade Mountains, from Mnt Saint Helens to the three Sisters. They were all covered in a new coating of white snow. What a sight. That is why I fly. :yes:

Bob Bement said:
Yesterday I flew from Vale Oregon to Lenhardts airport near Portland. It was a great flight over the width of the state. When I got to John Day I could see all the Cascade Mountains, from Mnt Saint Helens to the three Sisters. They were all covered in a new coating of white snow. What a sight. That is why I fly. :yes:

ho yeah! awesome. No pics?? (coming from the habitual camera forgetter)

Bob Bement said:

Wahh! I miss Oregon. (It became my adopted home state.) Way back then when I lived there, after moving out of the Deschutes National Forest (I had to live off the land the first four months I was there, since I couldn't find an apartment that would take two dogs), I lived in Bend for a while and to walk outside each morning and see Mt Bachelor, the Sisters, Broken Top, Three Fingered Jack and all those familiar mountains smiling at me any time of night or day (unless it was snowing or cloudy) was a never ending pleasure. One of my best memories is taking the dogs out on a clear night and just standing there, watching comet Hale-Bopp over the shoulder of a snowcovered Mt Bachelor. Sigh. (That should put a date on it)

I missed seeing them when I moved to the Eugene area (too hazy or rainy), but escaped to the mountains whenever possible. I don't miss those towns at all, but I do miss the Cascades---and I miss trees!

Ah well, one day I be out of these frozen flatlands and back to a more diverse and interesting landscape. I do have to admit Eastern North Dakota has one advantage to me as a student pilot: you never have to look far to spot an emergency landing site. SO I'll take advantage of that, and when I'm ready for more challenging flying, hopefully it will coincide with relocation.

terry, in the currently becoming frozen prairie when today's wind chill is -15 (I actually like that)

SkyHog said:
ho yeah! awesome. No pics?? (coming from the habitual camera forgetter)

He's probably done the same thing I've done with the camera.....forgot to take it out of the flight bag!!! DOH!! :eek:

terzap said:
Wahh! I miss Oregon. (It became my adopted home state.) Way back then when I lived there, after moving out of the Deschutes National Forest (I had to live off the land the first four months I was there, since I couldn't find an apartment that would take two dogs), I lived in Bend for a while and to walk outside each morning and see Mt Bachelor, the Sisters, Broken Top, Three Fingered Jack and all those familiar mountains smiling at me any time of night or day (unless it was snowing or cloudy) was a never ending pleasure. One of my best memories is taking the dogs out on a clear night and just standing there, watching comet Hale-Bopp over the shoulder of a snowcovered Mt Bachelor. Sigh. (That should put a date on it)

I missed seeing them when I moved to the Eugene area (too hazy or rainy), but escaped to the mountains whenever possible. I don't miss those towns at all, but I do miss the Cascades---and I miss trees!

Ah well, one day I be out of these frozen flatlands and back to a more diverse and interesting landscape. I do have to admit Eastern North Dakota has one advantage to me as a student pilot: you never have to look far to spot an emergency landing site. SO I'll take advantage of that, and when I'm ready for more challenging flying, hopefully it will coincide with relocation.

terry, in the currently becoming frozen prairie when today's wind chill is -15 (I actually like that)

Whoa... Oregon to North Dakota !
That's gotta be a big shock just geographically, let alone the chill factor !
I practically lived on Mt Hood and the coast for 5 years and I know what you mean about those MTNs. Exquisite.

Bob Bement said:

That's an exceptionally nice flight you made and why I fly too.
And why I live in the Pac NW...

Last edited:
Okay, I have one for y'all. Who was Deschutes? That name is listed all across OR, WA and ID. It's more than what Christopher Columbus got.

Richard said:
Okay, I have one for y'all. Who was Deschutes? That name is listed all across OR, WA and ID. It's more than what Christopher Columbus got.

That's an easy one.
He was from the first family of early parachute manufacturers active in the 1700s and 1800s. (Fr. des chutes ..."of chutes" )

Painfully ahead of his time, he travelled extensively throughout the Pac NW in a vain attempt to market his new parachutes but, nonetheless had many landmarks named after him.

Back