Flight across Canada to Alaska?

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
Has anyone ever flown from the lower 48 to Alaska (or vice vs.) across Canada? Is it difficult when dealing with Canadian airspace, etc.? From what I've read, it seems to be less complicated if you only plan to overfly Canada and not actually touch down there (you're not required to have an eAPIS manifest)

Another question is what if you plan to overfly Canada but have an engine-out (or some other type of forced landing) and are forced to touch down somewhere in Canada?

Ps. I'm not actually planning on flight across Canada (at least not anytime soon), so don't go to the trouble for a lot of research on my behalf. This is just a curiosity question. :)

Has anyone ever flown from the lower 48 to Alaska (or vice vs.) across Canada? Is it difficult when dealing with Canadian airspace, etc.? From what I've read, it seems to be less complicated if you only plan to overfly Canada and not actually touch down there (you're not required to have an eAPIS manifest)

Another question is what if you plan to overfly Canada but have an engine-out (or some other type of forced landing) and are forced to touch down somewhere in Canada?

Ps. I'm not actually planning on flight across Canada (at least not anytime soon), so don't go to the trouble for a lot of research on my behalf. This is just a curiosity question. :)

Although I learned to fly in Juneau, my one and only trip up there (Fairbanks) from the lower 48 took place much later. long before eAPIS. Flight was normal in every way. Cleared Customs and Immigrationkin Abbotsford, BC (as I recall) and made regular fuel stops. Overnighted in Whitehorse, Yukon, entered the US at Northway. Airlines back to Seattle, because this trip was to relocate the plane.

I had flown in Canadian airspace may times on charters, so there was nothing new to me. What would have happened if I had had to put it down? We'll neve know, will we?

Bob

I did it a few times from Soldotna, AK, back and forth to the PacNW, but, like Bob, it was well before eAPIS. Cleared Canadian customs in Whitehorse on the way south and at Abbotsford on the way north. US customs at Bellingham southbound and Northway on the way up. I even did it once in January, in a Bellanca Viking. I'm sure if you had to land in Canada in an emergency, it would be easily sorted out, assuming you were not carrying contraband or firearms. :)

I did the Alcan highway from Montana to Fairbanks. The trip through Canada was a non event. Couldn't have been easier,you have a small fee for using their atc services. When landing in Canada just use the canpass system.

Friend of mine wrote this book. I don't think eApis was in play then. Though he has flown another plane to AK as well. Nothing too crazy about it. Just have paperwork in order and as said before, don't have contraband. Pistols are a no. If the right advance info is done, a shotgun is ok. Maybe a rifle too, Can't remember.

I flew from Las Vegas through Canada to Alaska and return.
eApis rules were easy to comply with.
Airspace in Canada is easy.
Every flight is on a flight plan, the flight plan is automatically activated on the proposed departure time unless you tell them otherwise. Land at a towered filed and a VFR flight plan is automatically closed.

IIRC, Class B in Canada is between 12,500 and 18,000 MSL and is positive control on IFR or CVFR flight plan.
I never got that high.

Plan your flight so that you are only in Canada in one calendar quarter. NAV Canada charges by the quarter, it was around $65.

Flew from Juneau to Chicago to Elko, NV were I worked for 2 years then Elko to Ketchikan were I worked for 1 year then back to Juneau. Been in Juneau for 20 years. Canpass is the way to go. Never had an issue flying into Canada. The weather advisory is in some ways more helpful. Flying in Canada during the winter I was advised if weather deteriorates try this pass instead. I had to pay landing fees at some of the larger airports, $20 or so. Fuel of course is sold by the liter.

Back