Flew today! WooHoo! ( little bit long)

Shepherd

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Shepherd
First time I've been in this plane since October. OK. I have flown a couple of other planes since then, but this aircraft (Remos GX) is:
"Adventure Plane!" Ta da da dA!
(sorry I don't know how to include a fanfare. sorry)

On today's adventure, the primary radio quit working sometime after I changed tower frequency. Didn't realize it until I was trying to pick up ATIS on the way back.

While circling the lake at 2,500 ft, trying to sort out the radio problems, my passenger (first flight in a small plane, ever.) asked: "Is this normal?"
I replied: "It is in this plane."

OK. Secondary radio dialed in and working, the tower clears me for the runway. I finish my last circle onto the base leg and pull the power. The engine bucks hard enough to shake the headset off the passenger.
To calm him and assure him that all is well I remark: "That's not good."
He responds :eek:

Hands flying between the throttle, the carb heat and the choke, (And saying a silent prayer for being at 2,500 ft), I get the engine to calm down but I can only make about 2,800 rpm, sometimes. I need to be at 1100ish feet to clear the towers and poles and I still have 3 miles to go. Saying another silent prayer that I had popped up to 2,500 ft to work on the radio, I inform the tower that the engine is running very rough, and I will be high and hot when I come over the hill to the airport. The tower can't actually see me at this point because of the terrain.
The woman in the tower (whom I now love with all my being) asks if I want to declare an emergency, or if I will need any assistance on the ground. "No," says I. "I'll either make it or it will be the DOT's problem" or something equally pithy.
(I have to fly directly across a major highway to get to the field.)

I explain to my passenger what's going on and what I'm going to do. Maintain altitude, maintain speed until I clear the poles(s) and the hill, then I'm going to fly sideways as hard as I can with the nose pointed up as far as it will go to lose both altitude and speed as fast as possible (I'm still moving at 95-100 knots).
As we clear the second pole I pull the power, and the engine doesn't quit, surprise, surprise. I slip hard, I pull hard enough to bleed off the excess speed, 80 knots, first 10 degrees of flaps, and we are dropping out of the sky like a Hail Mary pass. 70 knots and I throw in full flaps, and ease up on the stick. We clear the highway. "Hi soccer Mom."
We clear the fence, and I'm dancing on the rudder to get it straight down the line. Hold it off, hold it off. Sweet!. OK. I'm pretty darn proud of the landing.
"With me to "C2" says she.
"With you to "C2" says me, "and thanks "
I taxi back to the tie-down and the engine runs fine. (Expletives deleted)
I goose the engine to bring it around, and it stops, stone, cold, dead.

My passenger, remember my passenger? I didn't. I had completely forgotten he was in the airplane.
My passenger says: "That was the most fun I have ever had in my entire life!"
Says me: "Just another day at the office."

I will admit; It took a little longer than usual to get the plane emptied and tied down. Something was up with my knees and my hands after we stopped moving. I'm getting too old for this adventure crap.

I hate happy endings. Will she/he (you said both) fly with you again?

ps good job Shep!

Good job!

I'd be interested to hear what was up with the engine

Interesting reading..... really happy that you did not give us something to speculate about for the next 6 weeks....

Let us know why the engine was acting up like it did.

A good shaking after flight keeps my heart rate steady....;)

And sounds like your passenger needs a little more excitement in his life.

Well done getting everyone home safe. Of course we would have expected nothing less from a good Shepherd. ;):D
(Apologies to Fredrick Forsyth)

Is that a Rotax powered airplane?

Yes it is a Rotax 912.
First pass on the engine problem. It appears there might have been a problem with the air filter. weather permitting, test flight tomorrow.

Engine and radio issues at the same time, that's Bull Shxt. Good job..:)

The mechanic just called.
It turns out the carb heat cable did not have full range of motion. When you pulled it out, the knob came all the way out, but the baffle only moved a small amount. Enough to register an rpm change on the ground, but not enough to heat the carburetor in the air.

Back