Flew to Sedona!

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
I've been wanting to fly somewhere up north for a while and I finally did it today! I had been pretty nervous about high DA in the Cherokee, but I've realized with proper planning it really isn't an issue (most the time I am flying by myself and with less than 32 gallons of fuel on board). Absolutely spectacular flight to Sedona! My most memorable flight to date. Incredible views. Last time I did this flight I was with an instructor when I was getting my PPL. Huge confidence booster to do this flight solo. Flew 7500 there and 8500 back to Deer Valley. Smooth as glass until I got back towards Deer Valley.

I gotta say, today was the first time I really got to experience my new Stratus 2S - it was awesome. I had Flight Following the whole time, but being able to supplement ATC traffic call outs with the Stratus is invaluable.

Had no issues at all taking off from Sedona. I landed runway 3 and took off runway 21 as typically recommended. I took off with about a direct 5 knot tailwind so I got to experience what that was like for the first time (which was completely uneventful).

Awesome flight!

See all photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hkv3mwaAMAgVBS083

IMG_1375.JPG

Nice pics. How far are you away from Sedona?

Not far its about a 55 minute to 1 hour flight. 71 miles. If I had a faster airplane it would be a hop skip and a jump lol

Purty bird! I like the paint, especially on the wheel pants.

Nice! I'm trying to plan a trip from Northern California to Sedona in the near future. Not sure of the route yet however I've been practicing carrier landings at Willits (O28) for the arrival.

Purty bird! I like the paint, especially on the wheel pants.

Thanks! Maybe I am biased but it honestly one of the nicest Cherokee 140s I have ever seen!

Nice! I'm trying to plan a trip from Northern California to Sedona in the near future. Not sure of the route yet however I've been practicing carrier landings at Willits (O28) for the arrival.

I've only been to Sedona twice, but both times it has been very uneventful. Landings were easy. I suppose if the winds were real gusty it would obviously be more difficult. Landing on runway 3 with the uphill slope you are stopped very quickly. Hardly used any runway to land today.

I've been wanting to fly somewhere up north for a while and I finally did it today! I had been pretty nervous about high DA in the Cherokee, but I've realized with proper planning it really isn't an issue (most the time I am flying by myself and with less than 32 gallons of fuel on board). Absolutely spectacular flight to Sedona! My most memorable flight to date. Incredible views. Last time I did this flight I was with an instructor when I was getting my PPL. Huge confidence booster to do this flight solo. Flew 7500 there and 8500 back to Deer Valley. Smooth as glass until I got back towards Deer Valley.

I gotta say, today was the first time I really got to experience my new Stratus 2S - it was awesome. I had Flight Following the whole time, but being able to supplement ATC traffic call outs with the Stratus is invaluable.

Had no issues at all taking off from Sedona. I landed runway 3 and took off runway 21 as typically recommended. I took off with about a direct 5 knot tailwind so I got to experience what that was like for the first time (which was completely uneventful).

Awesome flight!

View attachment 55248

Was planning to do the same trip myself this morning but had a late night work call that killed that plan, might try again Sunday

Was planning to do the same trip myself this morning but had a late night work call that killed that plan, might try again Sunday

Bummer! Next time I'm gonna do Sedona then Payson! What do you fly?

Bummer! Next time I'm gonna do Sedona then Payson! What do you fly?

PA28-235F out of FFZ , the CS prop and the extra horsepower over the old archer we had helps in the summer in the high country

Try Winslow sometime for breakfast or lunch at the old hotel. There is a shuttle from the airport to the hotel or its abouta 15 min walk. Great food. Fly over the Blue Mesa area near Holbrook if you have the time

PA28-235F out of FFZ , the CS prop and the extra horsepower over the old archer we had helps in the summer in the high country

Try Winslow sometime for breakfast or lunch at the old hotel. There is a shuttle from the airport to the hotel or its abouta 15 min walk. Great food. Fly over the Blue Mesa area near Holbrook if you have the time

Interesting...I went to college at NAU in Flagstaff and did a little coyote hunting out that way (between meteor crater and Winslow). Ain't much out there haha! But I will do that sometime!

Cool I'll check it out!

Head up to Page, it's incredibly scenic up here and you can go visit Marble Canyon on the same trip. It's a fun airport with a 35ft wide runway. We fly 207's there all the time. BBQ lunch is on me.

Awesome flight!

View attachment 55248

Sedona is a great airport. Do they still have the USS Sedona caps available for sale there? Nice restaurant also.

Our first trip to Sedona involved an amazing coincidence. We had flown from San Jose to Deer Valley on a Thursday afternoon to attend a weekend hockey tournament in which my son's team was participating. At the same time, my parents were driving from Tennessee primarily to watch their grandson to play hockey, and also to visit some with us. (Grandparents can be amazing fans for their grandchildren).

The first game wasn't going to be till Friday evening, so Friday morning my wife and I decided to fly up to the Grand Canyon airport and take a helicoptor tour. After the tour, we asked the folks at the airport where would be a good place to eat and were told that a lot of the tour pilots would fly to Sedona for lunch. Sounded like a good plan, so we headed off to Sedona for lunch.

Just after we landed, my mom called to let us know when they were planning to arrive in Phoenix and to confirm the game time of that evening's game. She said that they were currently doing a bit of sightseeing at the .... Sedona airport! With no preplaning and no prior arrangements, they were at the same airport as we after driving all the way across country. We wouldn't have been there if we hadn't decided to fly to the Grand Canyon and get a recomendation from the tour group. For us to have arrived at the same place at the same time still amazes me. We had a nice lunch with them and beat them back to Phoenix by several hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fly up to Seligman (P23) and dine at Westside Lilo's Cafe if you want to stretch your wings some more.

http://www.westsidelilos.com/

Agree with Scrabo that the La Posada Hotel in Winslow is also worth a visit. And don't forget to get your picture standing on the corner.

http://www.laposada.org/

1200px-Standing_on_the_Corner.JPG

Cool. A statue and a sign that says 'standing on the corner'.

If you live/fly in AZ - sometimes the breakfast club go some interesting places. Haven't join them in a while as they mainly fly on Saturdays but might try and hook up again in the fall. All are welcome.

Breakfast.JPG

Head up to Page, it's incredibly scenic up here and you can go visit Marble Canyon on the same trip. It's a fun airport with a 35ft wide runway. We fly 207's there all the time. BBQ lunch is on me.

Hey I planned this out on my iPad yesterday! Easy flight! My buddy (SWA Captain) wants to go up there with me and fly around Lake Powell too! I will definitely make it up there in the coming months!

Sedona is a great airport. Do they still have the USS Sedona caps available for sale there? Nice restaurant also.

Our first trip to Sedona involved an amazing coincidence. We had flown from San Jose to Deer Valley on a Thursday afternoon to attend a weekend hockey tournament in which my son's team was participating. At the same time, my parents were driving from Tennessee primarily to watch their grandson to play hockey, and also to visit some with us. (Grandparents can be amazing fans for their grandchildren).

The first game wasn't going to be till Friday evening, so Friday morning my wife and I decided to fly up to the Grand Canyon airport and take a helicoptor tour. After the tour, we asked the folks at the airport where would be a good place to eat and were told that a lot of the tour pilots would fly to Sedona for lunch. Sounded like a good plan, so we headed off to Sedona for lunch.

Just after we landed, my mom called to let us know when they were planning to arrive in Phoenix and to confirm the game time of that evening's game. She said that they were currently doing a bit of sightseeing at the .... Sedona airport! With no preplaning and no prior arrangements, they were at the same airport as we after driving all the way across country. We wouldn't have been there if we hadn't decided to fly to the Grand Canyon and get a recomendation from the tour group. For us to have arrived at the same place at the same time still amazes me. We had a nice lunch with them and beat them back to Phoenix by several hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn't see the hats but I wasn't looking all that hard! Wow that's pretty ironic! I haven't eaten at the mesa grill yet but I will have to try it out sometime

If you live/fly in AZ - sometimes the breakfast club go some interesting places. Haven't join them in a while as they mainly fly on Saturdays but might try and hook up again in the fall. All are welcome.

View attachment 55270

Interesting didn't know that existed. I will keep that in mind!

You didn't eat the green biscuits at the Mesa Grill? You'll like Payson too. They have a speaker in the restaurant that broadcasts all the radio transmissions into the airport...so don't say anything stupid. I haven't been up there in a while, I'm due.

You didn't eat the green biscuits at the Mesa Grill? You'll like Payson too. They have a speaker in the restaurant that broadcasts all the radio transmissions into the airport...so don't say anything stupid. I haven't been up there in a while, I'm due.

Haha nope haven't ate there yet. I've been to Payson a handful of times already though! Not in my Cherokee though!

You'll like Payson too. They have a speaker in the restaurant that broadcasts all the radio transmissions into the airport...so don't say anything stupid.
I was just up there last week. Great trip, good food.

One of the comments in Yelp: "What a great gem. It's right near the little airport and you get to see all of the planes land and take off. Over the intercom you also hear the control tower transmissions." o_O

I was just up there last week. Great trip, good food.

One of the comments in Yelp: "What a great gem. It's right near the little airport and you get to see all of the planes land and take off. Over the intercom you also hear the control tower transmissions." o_O

Hahahaha I lol'd at this

View attachment 55270

Is this with the Arizona Pilot's Association? I haven't joined but maybe I should. It seems they are big on donation requests which sort of puts me off.

Is this with the Arizona Pilot's Association? I haven't joined but maybe I should. It seems they are big on donation requests which sort of puts me off.

No, I think it's just a group of hungry pilots - no fixed or paid membership

They used to write up their trip reports on their website but because they often revisit the same places, they stopped that. They also plan overnights to some just out of state locations as well.

http://www.public.asu.edu/~idwlm/

If anyone wants to throw together a POA AZ edition of a breakfast "club" , I'm in.

Nice, I have a 68 Cardinal, it had standard 150hp until overhaul now 160hp with powerflow. After reading your post, I need to get out that way

Ahh cool we've been thinking about adding the power flow exhaust. If we keep the airplane long enough we will likely do the 160 HP upgrade as well

Back