Flew the plane to its new home today!

Jthamilton

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Okie182
Departed KRVS yesterday with flight following to KFMM in my T182t Little turbulence across Kansas and quite hazy but decent flight...then I got to Fort Morgan!

Upon my arrival intentions were to land on 34. Winds were reported 060 @ 26 gusts over 30. Knowing my options were slim to continue my landing I flew over the runway just to see if i would be able to straighten the nose up like i was going to land. Well, it didn't happen, I didn't have near enough aileron and rudder to achieve the task! Resident aircraft owner stood outside his hangar to watch the possible show, I just waved at him and applied the power.

Checked weather at my alternate (Greeley) and things were much better! Promptly landed without incident with winds 040 @ 5 knots. While putting some fuel in the winds came up 20 knots gusting to 26. I was quite glad I was done for the day! Then I proceeded to sit in FBO for hour and half while fella who borrowed courtesy car brought it back late!

So this morning I awoke and looked outside at 530am. Looked great, drove back to KGXY checked weather created my VFR flight plan and took off towards Craig. Could not have asked for better flight for my first flight into the mountains! I climbed to 14,500 and had best view in the world!

I used this flight to relearn some skills I rarely used in Oklahoma. This was filing flight plans, reporting positions in the mountains. Getting standard, abbreviated and some in flight briefings. All basic skills I just rarely used since I mostly used flight following and stayed local since buying aircraft last August after 8 year hiatus from flying. I felt much more confident flying in the mountains after doing the ground portion of the Mountain flying course 2 weeks ago at BJC. Now I'm going to set up my flight with one of their instructors in couple weeks and continue the lesson!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
Looks like fun. I would like to take some mtn training even though we don't have much to deal with here on the east coast.

Back