Flew the Hudson River for the first

pgengler

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Phil G
Flew the Hudson River for the 1st time

Yesterday in the NJ/NY was a really nice day to be flying; it's still somewhat warm and there wasn't a cloud in the sky for most of the day. I was flying with the instructor again (needed to do another .2 sim instrument, and we brushed up a little on air work) and after he had me navigate to Old Bridge he asked if I wanted to try flying up the Hudson River. Since it's definitely something I'd want to do (with pax) as soon as I'm able, I definitely took him up on it.

Since I live on one side of the water and work on the other, I was able to see both on the trip. It's a really nice view from an airplane there. I'm so glad that the corridor is open there.

We went as far up as the GW Bridge before we turned back around. Did one circle of the Statue of Liberty and then headed back to the airport. My first comment on it? "This is way cooler than Flight Sim," but that shouldn't really be a surprise. I'm sure my fiancee will love it when I get to take her around.

Last edited:
It is like nothing else on earth. I call it the VFR gateway to any southerly destination, gets you out of NY quick and it's quite scenic. That will never get old.

And once you've done it a few times during the day, try it at night - it's even more amazing.

I've never gotten to do the VFR flyway, but I've done the Expressway Visual to LGA (basically the same thing but starting at the GW and going south at 2,500 feet) quite a few times...nothing beats the scenery from over the Hudson! I'm sure your fiancee will love it!

Cool beans... reminds me I haven't done that in a long time.

Another thing I haven't done in a long time is fly up or down the river even farther; flew to Red Hook and back once, that was fun (and easy nav, too).

I flew up the corridor a couple of weeks ago when there was a TFR over the UN. New York approach had me fly up the river at 2000 and turned me east right over the top of Central Park and then vectored me over LGA and the Throgs Neck bridge then out east to my destination. It was very cool

Back