Flew for lunch...watched an accident.

When I used to work near my home airport I would often go down to the pilot shack and eat my lunch there. One day I was sitting there eating lunch with the head of the local maintenance shop when I saw a plane of short final. The wind was blowing about 25-30 knots but straight down the runway. The plane looked to be low and slow on short final. As I watched I saw a gust of wind start then die away. As the wind died away his nose started to drop. instead of adding power, he pulled back on the yoke to regain pitch and he did not have enough energy in the bank. At this point he was perhaps 20 feet up and 100 feet from the threshold. He stalled and the nose dropped. He bounced perhaps 30 short of the threshold and veered to the right where his right wing tip hit a chain link fence that ran close to the end and moved away from the runway. The chain-link fence slowed him down in about 30 feet and he was ok. The whole incident took 3 or 4 seconds from the time I first noticed the plane until it had stopped moving. It did once again reminded me that aviation is not forgiving of screw ups.

As for the number of go around, I'd have to say it depends. I was forced to divert to a airport I had not landed at before because my home airport became unavailable when I was 10 minetes out. The approach was over the water and the runway was right up against it. I was worried about coming in over the black hole of the water and my first appraoch was too high. I went around and the second time was in much better shape but did not want to force the plane on so I went around again. The third time was the charm and I landed fine. I felt in control and did not see a need to go somewhere else. Now I was not fighting a bad cross wind so it was a matter of feeling comfortable with the sight picture more then anything else. I think before you set a number of attempts you need to understand why the attempts were not working.

As for the number of go around, I'd have to say it depends. I was forced to divert to a airport I had not landed at before because my home airport became unavailable when I was 10 minetes out. The approach was over the water and the runway was right up against it. I was worried about coming in over the black hole of the water and my first appraoch was too high. I went around and the second time was in much better shape but did not want to force the plane on so I went around again. The third time was the charm and I landed fine. I felt in control and did not see a need to go somewhere else. Now I was not fighting a bad cross wind so it was a matter of feeling comfortable with the sight picture more then anything else. I think before you set a number of attempts you need to understand why the attempts were not working.
I had a heck of a time when I transitioned to one of those nosedraggers with the flap thingies (Beech Sport)....

The old man sold the Cessna 120 to a guy at what is now 45G. He flew the 120 out there and I was to come along (solo) in the Beech to pick him up. Well, the first attempt was way to high and way too fast. No way to get it down and stopped.
Second attempt. Too high, no way.
Third attempt. High, but not quite as high. I was starting to wonder if I would ever get it down.
Fourth time was the charm. Still too hot, but I touched down about halfway down the runway and stopped with no problems.

Eventually I sorta got the hang of that airplane. But I never found it to be easy like the 120.

Miami Co can be tricky to land at with x winds on the main runway. Ive had some close calls myself on that runway in x winds over the years.

I've learned you can always count on someone seeing your screw ups. The story of my engine failure was on the internet before I even got home.

Geez, I do feel sorry for the pilot. We're all human, after all. But when I take first time passengers, I like to select clear, calm days and long runways.

What limits do folks here have on # of landings they will attempt before trying something different?

Depends on why I had to give up on the last landing. I once went around 6 times in gusty winds because I kept catching the poorly timmed gust as I was entering the flare. I was gonna give up and go to a different airport after the last shot just to get my very green (never knew people actually turned green when airsick) passenger on the ground.

The passenger (my uncle) spent that night (xmas eve) in the hospital, I think I shook the kidney stone out of him:hairraise:

Back