Flew around Lake Michigan today

AcroBoy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jim N
After getting a little bored with the local restaurants, I decided to get up early and circumnavigate Lake Michigan. Started in the Milwaukee area, and then skirted the Chicago bravo, but pretty much did the entire shore all the way from South Bend up to Mackinac Island, and then past Escanaba back to Milwaukee. Unfortunately had to air file for part of the trip in northern Michigan (just couldn't stay in VMC), but the rest was nice VFR. What a great way to travel- listening to the XM radio all the way and smooth.

Total time 3:45, and 95gal. Worth all of it.

Sounds like a good trip. I hope to make it to Mackinack Is next year. What were you flying?

Was flying a B-55 Baron. I personally would probably not have done the flight in a piston single, much of it was over the lake, and at around 5500 or 6500 feet. The XM worked great, but the two-four minute lag can make a big difference close up.

Still, a great trip- from Chicago skyline to Mackinac in a little over an hour.

There was a fair amount of overwater flying- went feet wet at Kenosha, and then diagonally at least 20-30 miles to stay our of Chicago's Bravo. Could have gone the low altitude shoreline route toward Gary as well, but I was too paranoid about inadvertently violating someone's airspace. (Also couldn't find my copy of the terminal chart). Then, up toward Mackinac, went out over the lake to stay in VMC, but it obviously wasn't going to work, so air filed somewhere south of Manistee. Canceled at Mackinac, and then the rest was around 5-10 miles off shore until turning back south at Escanaba. Total distance was around 654nm. Could easily do the trip in a single, but would stay much closer to shore, and carry life vests. I had VFR flight following the entire way, which was also reassuring and helpful. Next time I might stop at Traverse City or Mackinac for lunch- would make it a great day, but yesterday I was solo, so just kept flying.

There was a fair amount of overwater flying- went feet wet at Kenosha, and then diagonally at least 20-30 miles to stay our of Chicago's Bravo. Could have gone the low altitude shoreline route toward Gary as well, but I was too paranoid about inadvertently violating someone's airspace. (Also couldn't find my copy of the terminal chart). Then, up toward Mackinac, went out over the lake to stay in VMC, but it obviously wasn't going to work, so air filed somewhere south of Manistee. Canceled at Mackinac, and then the rest was around 5-10 miles off shore until turning back south at Escanaba. Total distance was around 654nm. Could easily do the trip in a single, but would stay much closer to shore, and carry life vests. I had VFR flight following the entire way, which was also reassuring and helpful. Next time I might stop at Traverse City or Mackinac for lunch- would make it a great day, but yesterday I was solo, so just kept flying.

Sounds like a great trip! If you're looking for someone to go with you next time, feel free to give me a call. :yes:

Where do you fly out of Jim?

Lansing has a pretty good restaurant. You need to fly more, anyway.B)

That trip has been on my local adventure list for a few years -- very cool! Thanks for sharing it!

I have done a fair amount of the Lake Michigan shore. It can be some really nice flying. Lots of airports to visit along the way too.

After getting a little bored with the local restaurants, I decided to get up early and circumnavigate Lake Michigan. Started in the Milwaukee area, and then skirted the Chicago bravo, but pretty much did the entire shore all the way from South Bend up to Mackinac Island, and then past Escanaba back to Milwaukee. Unfortunately had to air file for part of the trip in northern Michigan (just couldn't stay in VMC), but the rest was nice VFR. What a great way to travel- listening to the XM radio all the way and smooth.

Total time 3:45, and 95gal. Worth all of it.

Now THAT sounds like fun! I've done most of that in Atlas (although we stayed over the shoreline the whole way), and it's just gorgeous.

Mackinac Island is hard to beat. And the view over Mighty Mac (a suspension bridge every bit as beautiful as the Golden Gate, IMHO) is worth every gallon of avgas it takes to get there...

Back