Flew after a month and ADM

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
flew exactly after a month today, this winter have been crappy and since the beginning of this year i have only flows like 6 hours excluding today, which is pretty less for me.

today i went to the airport had a pax with me. i had originally planned for KJMS, but TAF showed 16G19 for the afternoon and not aligned to any runway, so i changed to KPKD (forcasted about 7kts aligned). I was feeling rusty and didnt want to take anymore than 7 kts in Xwind. Fargo is 12-15 kts, but fairly aligned to 36.

while approaching PKD checked GP, it was showing 12G19 and not exactly aligned with any of the runways, which is a bummer since i chose that due to two runways and the forecast. got closer, down to pattern alt, checked the windsock - up at least 15kts in cross wind... circled the airport and came back to fargo.

didnt have to learn anything the hard way, but i think that was mostly because of my ADM. i am fairly conservative flyer and didnt wanted to take on 15 kts after a month of break with a pax. but, tell you what, it takes a lot to tell the passenger that no, we arent landing there and going for the aforementioned promised coffee, the crosswind component is more than i can handle.

on the bright side, i havent forgotten to land... did a greaser .. somehow :d:d

It’s wierd...after a time away, the landing itself isn’t what’s gotten rusty...if anything, that’s the “riding the bike” part. It’s the flows and checklist use that get a little rust, at least for me.

Good job on ADM. I had to go up last weekend for my 3 TO/LDG to get passenger legal, so knocked off some rust that way without pax.

flew exactly after a month today, this winter have been crappy and since the beginning of this year i have only flows like 6 hours excluding today, which is pretty less for me.

today i went to the airport had a pax with me. i had originally planned for KJMS, but TAF showed 16G19 for the afternoon and not aligned to any runway, so i changed to KPKD (forcasted about 7kts aligned). I was feeling rusty and didnt want to take anymore than 7 kts in Xwind. Fargo is 12-15 kts, but fairly aligned to 36.

while approaching PKD checked GP, it was showing 12G19 and not exactly aligned with any of the runways, which is a bummer since i chose that due to two runways and the forecast. got closer, down to pattern alt, checked the windsock - up at least 15kts in cross wind... circled the airport and came back to fargo.

didnt have to learn anything the hard way, but i think that was mostly because of my ADM. i am fairly conservative flyer and didnt wanted to take on 15 kts after a month of break with a pax. but, tell you what, it takes a lot to tell the passenger that no, we arent landing there and going for the aforementioned promised coffee, the crosswind component is more than i can handle.

on the bright side, i havent forgotten to land... did a greaser .. somehow :d:d
I want to hear how the flight goes when you forget to land.

You did the right thing brother. Besides, what's gonna impress her more:

A.) Seeing you continuously sweating a crappy crosswind landing, then maybe sideload bad enough to blow a tire and being stuck there (unless you wanted to be "stuck" there).
B.) Telling her the truth about cross winds, flying back, greaser landing, dinner, …. :devil:

I want to hear how the flight goes when you forget to land.

The flight itself will be uneventful, you will read the rest in the news with a big headline that there was no flight plan

You did the right thing brother. Besides, what's gonna impress her more:

A.) Seeing you continuously sweating a crappy crosswind landing, then maybe sideload bad enough to blow a tire and being stuck there (unless you wanted to be "stuck" there).
B.) Telling her the truth about cross winds, flying back, greaser landing, dinner, …. :devil:

Ok what makes you think it was “her”??

You are correct by the way

If you live in ND you will be waiting a long time to get unrusty. Besides that a solo student should be able to handle 7 knots.
I've seen @WannFly land in way more wind than that (remember KAXN!). So I know he's capable.

But I do think it's fair to call you out for placing pressure on him...right? You most likely mean well. But think about it, he set his personal limit and stuck with it, even with a passenger i am quite sure he would preferred to have impressed. That takes some humility...probably far more than the passenger will evet know.

Also, I believe he has over 200 hrs flying up there, you dont get in that many hours in Fargo in that short of a time while dodging crosswinds on every flight.

We've had a month on nonstop crud, way below zero temps and crazy winds. I don't think a single plane launched out of our little airport for over 3 weeks. That includes several cherokees, 172s, 3 182s, a Dakota and even a 414.

@WannFly is feeling rusty and taking things easy...playing it safe. Has zero to do with a solo pilots skills...IMHO.

I've seen @WannFly land in way more wind than that (remember KAXN!). So I know he's capable.

But I do think it's fair to call you out for placing pressure on him...right? You most likely mean well. But think about it, he set his personal limit and stuck with it, even with a passenger i am quite sure he would preferred to have impressed. That takes some humility...probably far more than the passenger will evet know.

Also, I believe he has over 200 hrs flying up there, you dont get in that many hours in Fargo in that short of a time while dodging crosswinds on every flight.

We've had a month on nonstop crud, way below zero temps and crazy winds. I don't think a single plane launched out of our little airport for over 3 weeks. That includes several cherokees, 172s, 3 182s, a Dakota and even a 414.

@WannFly is feeling rusty and taking things easy...playing it safe. Has zero to do with a solo pilots skills...IMHO.

I am not calling him or anyone else out. North Dakota is is a challenging weather state because many times the forecasts are not very accurate and there are not very many low wind days. In fact I give ND the credit to most of what I learned about X wind landings in my life. But if you are based there, having lower X wind skills are going to really limit your flying and it is prudent to get with a CFI who know how to teach X wind techniques and get your skills where they need to be.

If you live in ND you will be waiting a long time to get unrusty. Besides that a solo student should be able to handle 7 knots.

I've taken on some HUGE crosswinds, basically with intention of approach, check if rudder will align and if no crazy gusts on low approach, pull power. That said, I've never landed on an icy runway so my biggest "I've done 29G35 direct in the Tiger" wouldn't mean squadooche landing on ice.

I've taken on some HUGE crosswinds, basically with intention of approach, check if rudder will align and if no crazy gusts on low approach, pull power. That said, I've never landed on an icy runway so my biggest "I've done 29G35 direct in the Tiger" wouldn't mean squadooche landing on ice.

Better call the tug to taxi in.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back