Flat Tire on Cessna. What did I do?

You guys are at nice flight schools. Mine would charge the cost of the tire if it was flat spotted or damaged. I always moved the plane back and forth to check things prior to use so I wouldn't pay for someone else's poor landing technique. Despite this, I managed a flat main on a nearly brand new tire. Owner was already telling me on the radio I would be charged for it. Mechanic found a nail in it that I picked up during taxi out that EXACTLY matched materials being used to construct the new hangars at the departure end of the runway. I didn't pay for the tire ...

As an owner, guess who gets to buy a new tire in either scenario if I find a flat one? ;-)

Would love it if the construction company would pay for it, but unlikely. LOL.

Sounds like you've got it easy. :)

As an owner, guess who gets to buy a new tire in either scenario if I find a flat one? ;-) Would love it if the construction company would pay for it, but unlikely. LOL.

If you're renting your plane, than the renter and not the owner. At the school I rented from, you really had to pre-flight the living crap out of the plane. Had some returned with massive prop seal leaks that I caught on preflight, many other things as well. It's what forced me to buy my own.

Sounds like you've got it easy. :)

Owning my own AC with no other pilots makes things easier as far as not worrying about damage from other pilots ... but maintenance can get expensive, mainly avionics.

Original poster, I feel your pain. I just landed my Mooney, it was my usual super human soft landing....I applied brakes a little more aggressively than normal, nothing tire skidding and started slowing down funny, dragging to the left, I just happened to be turning off at taxiway and just stopped as something was wrong. Found MX towed airplane to ramp and luckily mechanics had spare tire and tube available. Mechanic said tube was wrong size for tire, and there was a cut on the tube, outside of area where it could have gotten pinched. No flat spots on tire. I have been flying for 25 years so this was a mystery. And I just tried to upload a picture and got a no-go....any idea on that?

Original poster, I feel your pain. I just landed my Mooney, it was my usual super human soft landing....I applied brakes a little more aggressively than normal, nothing tire skidding and started slowing down funny, dragging to the left, I just happened to be turning off at taxiway and just stopped as something was wrong. Found MX towed airplane to ramp and luckily mechanics had spare tire and tube available. Mechanic said tube was wrong size for tire, and there was a cut on the tube, outside of area where it could have gotten pinched. No flat spots on tire. I have been flying for 25 years so this was a mystery. And I just tried to upload a picture and got a no-go....any idea on that?

Who installed that tube?

You guys are at nice flight schools. Mine would charge the cost of the tire if it was flat spotted or damaged. I always moved the plane back and forth to check things prior to use so I wouldn't pay for someone else's poor landing technique. Despite this, I managed a flat main on a nearly brand new tire. Owner was already telling me on the radio I would be charged for it. Mechanic found a nail in it that I picked up during taxi out that EXACTLY matched materials being used to construct the new hangars at the departure end of the runway. I didn't pay for the tire ...
I would expect to pay for something I obviously broke. But not a tire that's been worn down by countless other pilots and finally gives out when I'm flying. And there's no way in hell I'd pay to replace a worn tire with a brand new one.

Back