Flashchat Replacement

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
We're still looking at replacements for flashchat. Please test this out:
http://64.34.169.69:8080/?0,0,0,0,0

It will only support 5 users right now--as it is a trial. It will integrate with vBulletin but is setup right now in a way where it'll just ask for your username. Please don't pretend to be someone else...we won't like that.

Let me know what you think.

"This page could be a scam" at the top of my browser. Jesse- You're one of the few people I trust to go past that message. I'll need to try when the server isn't full.

Worked for me.. Why couldn't we use MS Messenger ?

you should be able to get in now chuck

Looks pretty straight forward. If you can control access so only PoA members go in, awesome.

Thanks to Jesse for the research and effort.

hopefully you can set it up so that it has the jetsons sounds in it like the old version?

hopefully you can set it up so that it has the jetsons sounds in it like the old version?
LOL Tony, that's what I noticed too, the lack of sounds. I was able to turn the sounds on by clicking on the gear icon and selecting sounds, but it just wasn't the same. :no:

i used to be talking to leah on the phone and she'd hear the jetsons theme in the background and know exactly what i was doing...

true greg, but at least she was clear on where my attention was focused.

"It's grown on you."

:) I like it a lot. At first, I was a bit put off, but using it grew on me a lot. Its so smooth and bugfree...a change from Flashchat for sure.

I just tried it for a few minutes, but it seemed to work pretty well. Would be nice if you could change the sounds, but it meets the basic functionality requirements.

The old chat system we could share pictures...I didn't see this ability. OTOH its a chat system not a files sharing program. I noticed the sound thing right away also...it just proves we are creatures of habit. I too miss the old sounds but I'm sure I will get used to the new ones...what ever they are.

The problem with any kind of file sharing in chat is the potential vulnerabilities. FlashChat was a $5 tool which, while nice, wasn't terribly secure.

Besides, we have a photo gallery here that doesn't get enough use. :)

The problem with any kind of file sharing in chat is the potential vulnerabilities. FlashChat was a $5 tool which, while nice, wasn't terribly secure.

Besides, we have a photo gallery here that doesn't get enough use. :)

I though the file sharing was one of the better features of Flash Chat. It came in handy when I wanted to show you the Glassair kit.

Yeah I know,,,,,, I posted way too many pictures

Question,,,,, why does a chat room require attachment to this program? why not start a room over on "Yahoo" or some other place?

Last edited:
I though the file sharing was one of the better features of Flash Chat. It came in handy when I wanted to show you the Glassair kit.

Question,,,,, why does a chat room require attachment to this program? why not start a room over on "Yahoo" or some other place?

No ability to prevent someone else from logging into a non-attached chat-room and pretending to be NC19143. Or worse, ME. We want integrated chat to ensure who you think is talking is who is really talking.

You can still post pictures. I never used the file transfer features of flashchat because I preferred to start a new thread with the pictures and then give that link to people in flashchat. That way everyone got to see it. Otherwise--as chuck said--there is still a photo gallery.

I liked the ability to post photos too. However I figured out that if you have an online photo album you can link to photos from the new chat.

The old chat system we could share pictures...I didn't see this ability. OTOH its a chat system not a files sharing program. I noticed the sound thing right away also...it just proves we are creatures of habit. I too miss the old sounds but I'm sure I will get used to the new ones...what ever they are.

You can post a link in chat and it ends up being live.

I liked the ability to post photos too. However I figured out that if you have an online photo album you can link to photos from the new chat.

good point...we do have a online album. It's mostly used by my wife but I simply forgot about it. Thanks

The imprmptu ability to post a picture about what is being talked about in chat is the feature that will be missed.

" ever see this?" yeah here ya go, click click and you got a picture..

Lets see you post a link to a picture that will be the subject tonight.

I get a totally blank page with "Done" on the status line.

I get a totally blank page with "Done" on the status line.
What browser are you using? Do you have some sort of weird anti-virus / overly protective security software installed? Do you have javascript enabled?

The imprmptu ability to post a picture about what is being talked about in chat is the feature that will be missed.

" ever see this?" yeah here ya go, click click and you got a picture..

Lets see you post a link to a picture that will be the subject tonight.

Yes, it will Tom - But I think you're the only one who actually figured out how to use it! I never was able to post a file.

Using IE 6- Ted & I noticed that you need to select a smiley to get the smiley list to disappear. Same thing with colors.

It is difficult to mix type styles (bold, underline, italics)

Last edited:
What browser are you using? IE6 SP2
Do you have some sort of weird anti-virus / overly protective security software installed? No
Do you have javascript enabled? Yes
- - -
After about 3 minutes, it told me to install Flash. I don't allow Flash.

Last edited:
Using IE 6- Ted & I noticed that you need to select a smiley to get the smiley list to disappear. Same thing with colors.

It is difficult to mix type styles (bold, underline, italics)
If you just click on the original color or :) button it will go away. At least it did for me.

We are "experimenting" with the new chat now if anyone wants to join us.

I noticed that no matter where you put the smiley it ends up at the beginning of the line... unless you type in front of it.

Last edited:
Back