Flaps on leading edge of wing?

Curyfury

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Curyfury
Just took a commercial flight and im not sure what type of boeing it was, but i noticed the leading edge of the main wing had something like a flap that moved forward and slightly down before takeoff. Cant say for sure it moved down as it was so slight, but it did give that appearance from the cabin. Now, from what i know, wouldnt that decrease the angle of attack? Obviously it doesnt, but it sure does look that way.

Some airplanes have leading-edge slats that are automatic, not controllable by the pilot. An example is the Antonov An-2 biplane. Normally the slats are held in the closed position by bungees. but pulled open at high angles of attack by changing pressures around the wing.

In this video of a flight in an An-2, watch the slats on the upper wing open and close during the takeoff roll (at 2:45 - 3:15 in the video) and again on landing (9:50 - 10:15) -- solely from changing air pressure around the leading edge of the wing.

http://youtu.be/h_jCA5iZFdE

The German WW2 Fieseler Storch STOL airplane had prominent leading-edge slats:

h_jCA5iZFdE
IMG_0827.jpg

Some Boeing jet types also have leading edge flaps, which are a bit different from slats, in that they are hinged at the upper leading edge, rather than sliding in and out.

Last edited:
If it was a Boeing then it most likely had a combination of leading edge flaps and slats. The inboard ones are Krueger Flaps. They all (including trailing edge flaps) basically do the same thing and that is alter the shape of the airfoil to increase both lift and drag so the airplane can fly slower.

A more fun variant is found on Helio Couriers and more recently, Back Country Cubs. You have to watch the last few minutes to see the slat-wing (experimental category) Cubs. The initial two heats are certificated airplanes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tvT5LMhvogw

Slots, slats, slotted-slats, leading edge flaps... Most, but not all, transport jets have some form of leading edge devices. The leading edge devices will extend first, or simultaneously, with the first notch(es) of flaps.

I remember the first ads for the Aero Commander Jet.

""""No slits, slats, slots or vortex generators!"""

Ted Smith knew how to design a clean wing.

$_57.JPG

Back