Flap problem on a C177RG

drgwentzel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kobra
Flyers,

I noticed the other day when I put my flap handle up to 0 degrees, the flaps came up appropriately to 0 degrees, but the indicator read 10 degrees.

The next day I came out to check on the flaps and indicator. I put the flap handle down to 30 degrees. The flaps obeyed, but the indicator read 20 degrees.

I brought the flap handle up to 20 degrees and the flaps came up about 3 degrees, stopped and the indicator didn't move at all.

I brought the flap handle up to 0 degrees and the flaps came up to 0 degrees and the indicator read 10 degrees.

So…do I have a bad flap follower cable, a bad flap rheostat, a bad or missing spring? What do these symptoms imply?

My mechanic is looking into it, but he's not too sure at the moment, but hasn't taken a look at it yet.

Gene ‘71 Cessna Cardinal RG

Most likely the follow up cable has come loose where it attaches at the cross over. Open the access panel in the overhead and you will see where it connects to the flap cable.

Sounds like a loose indicator needle. If the flaps are moving as demanded and the motor shuts off at the selected positions, the follow-up cable is working. It controls the microswitches on the follower cam. The indicator needle attached to the cam is loose or something.

Dan

Sounds like a loose indicator needle. If the flaps are moving as demanded and the motor shuts off at the selected positions, the follow-up cable is working...

wouldn't explain this then:

I brought the flap handle up to 20 degrees and the flaps came up about 3 degrees, stopped and the indicator didn't move at all.

Due to the design a loose follow-up cable can cause all sorts of weird things to happen that don't seem to make any sense. Also a five minute job to check it and if nothing else eliminate it as the source of the problem.

wouldn't explain this then:

Due to the design a loose follow-up cable can cause all sorts of weird things to happen that don't seem to make any sense. Also a five minute job to check it and if nothing else eliminate it as the source of the problem.

Yeah, I think you're right.

Dan

Back