Flap Controller: Does anyone make this?

GigG601XL

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gig Giacona
The 601XL I'm building is designed with a simple ON(mom)-off-On(mom) flap switch. I was wondering if anyone makes a gizmo that would go into the circuit that would allow a single momentary push position the flaps into 10º then a second would move it to 20º and so on? Obviously the same going the other way.

I could live with a gizmo that just ran applied the power to the flap motor for X number of seconds either down or up for each push as long as X is something I could set.

If you could get a flap switch from a Cessna 152, it had 10°, 20° and 30° positions with little stops built in. Then just raise it all the way up to clear them up. You'd need to figger out the circuit though.

Our 1974 172M has a single switch in which you must add flaps by either an inaccurate Gage or by counting. I believe one with the detents in place use micro-switches on both the control lever as well as on the flap track to determine position. That would be quite a bit to install.

You are right Dan on the detented (is that a word) version. I though about that and ruled it out. What I really think I need (and can't find) is switch that once pushed keeps the circuit closed for a certain amount of time. I know they are out there, they've got to be.

You could probably build such a thing pretty easily with a 555 timer, relay, and a few other basic electronic parts. Honestly though, in this application, I would probably try and think of a more advanced method...since they are your flaps and all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC

Expect an intelligent response from Lance in 5....4....3.......

This may be what you're looking for.

http://www.aircraftextras.com

Steve

I was going to recommend looking at Vansairforce.net. RV's use the same "Push the switch until you want it to stop" type of flap control system. I'm sure someone there has come up with a more 'dignified' system. The RV-10's have a 'negative' flap retraction setting of 2-3 degrees, so I'm sure someone has come up with an automatic flap control system to prevent going all the way up on retract until in cruise.

Back