Flags of Our Fathers

Frank Browne

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
FB
Does anyone here plan on seeing "Flags of Our Fathers" when it opens? I read the book when it came out and it was excellent, so I'll be going to the movie when it opens. It's a great story.

I would like to see it but I will probably have to wait for it to be released on airplanes as I usually only get to see movies there.

Jim Michaels, one of the original flag raiser was a member of the North Riverside, IL VFW post. That is the post where I had my wedding reception, I had a great many firends at that post, many of whom are no longer with us that knew Jim very well.

In the bar there is the first picture of that event. I was standing there looking at it one day when another VFW comrade come up to me to say hi. We talked of the photo and he then mentioned how impressed he was with those guys who went up there and that they were true heros. That struck me as odd as the guy who was telling me this story was a survivor of the Indianapolis sinking. I just kept think "I'm not worthy" to be here right now.

smigaldi said:
That struck me as odd as the guy who was telling me this story was a survivor of the Indianapolis sinking. I just kept think "I'm not worthy" to be here right now.

I can sure relate to that feeling. Many years ago, we had a B-17 and a B-24 visit CRG and at the end of their stay, as they were firing up to leave, I was standing behind the B-17 chating with an elderly gentleman who had been a member of the 8th AF in England. As the engines were started they blew cold February back over us and my eyes began watering from the blasts of cold air driven by those big props. Our conversation stopped, and I glanced over at the gentleman with whom I had been talking. His eyes were watering as well but his was, I believe, caused by memories I could not share. I allowed this man his moment of communion with comrades still flying their mission. So I just stood by in silent gratitude for his sacrifice and service.

Back