Fla and south GA. Restaurants.

Crane Pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
crane pilot
I'm looking to start a list of places to fly to that have restaurants at the airport, for the $100.00 hamburger now with inflation the $500.00 lunch. I'm finishing up my ppl and gonna need a bunch of x-country , just looking for ideas. something in a 200 nm radius of KORL

OBE Okeechobee at the top of the lake has a restaurant, eat at the counter or a table inside, or outside. Only ever had a BLT there, but service and food was good,

On field- Tampa North Airpark, Winter Haven Gilbert Field, Ocala, Williston X61, Lakeland. Crystal River (a 7 minute walk from the ramp)

In addition to what everyone else has said
Flagler County - KFIN
Deland - KDED
Spruce Creek - 7FL6

Destin - take the crew car and several restaurants along the gulf.

In addition to what everyone else has said
Flagler County - KFIN
Deland - KDED
Spruce Creek - 7FL6

Second Flagler. Good little restaurant right on the field. Been there a few times.

Destin - take the crew car and several restaurants along the gulf.

Back Porch pretty good. Sit where you see the adjacent beach bunnies while munching some amberjack.

Meh.
Much rather go to McGuire's if the object is food.

Oh Mcguire's in Pcola. Awesome place and good food...if you can get in there.

Meh.
Much rather go to McGuire's if the object is food.

Yup I like McGuire's too, very good and great beer selection. I mentioned Back Porch as it's the closest to the airport I believe. I used to go to the original Back Porch in the late 70s, it was a lot smaller, and you got everything in a basket, no plates, limited menu, and definitely no T shirt sales. Owners were a Canadian couple and they sold it, and made a good, very good, profit.

Oh Mcguire's in Pcola. Awesome place and good food...if you can get in there.

Yeah that's good too. What's that bar in the same area that has a bunch of Blue Angel stuff on the walls, and supposedly you might catch a Blue driver in there?

Yup I like McGuire's too, very good and great beer selection. I mentioned Back Porch as it's the closest to the airport I believe. I used to go to the original Back Porch in the late 70s, it was a lot smaller, and you got everything in a basket, no plates, limited menu, and definitely no T shirt sales. Owners were a Canadian couple and they sold it, and made a good, very good, profit.

my favorite place like that was June's Dunes (basically next door to the Back Porch) but that is long gone... used to run over there for lunch, get a two dollar burger and watch bikinis run by

image.jpeg
Yeah that's good too. What's that bar in the same area that has a bunch of Blue Angel stuff on the walls, and supposedly you might catch a Blue driver in there?

Trader Jons. He passed away years ago and the bar closed. They actually just opened an exhibit in the museum at Pcola with his collection last month.

Met Trader at his place back in '95. A real legend back in the day. Didn't have matching socks so I couldn't get a free drink. He did give me a free pass to a Venus bikini contest though. Still have it.

There's a pretty good BBQ joint across the street from the Panama City FL Mall, down from the Holiday Inn (used to overnight there on the airline). The owner was a retired Navy fighter pilot (I think he passed now) and the walls are full of aviation pics, mostly military, aviation patches military pilots put up on the from all the branches, some TBirds and Blue Angels autograph pics, and big model jet fighters hanging from the ceiling. The old PC airport was just a few blocks away but now they have the airport out to the west of PC. Good groceries and aviation themed.

Last edited:
KSSI has "Southern Soul" BBQ. Great food.
Yea right.....

It's Chitty BBQ. Just because Guy Fierrie was there and it's in walking distance from SSI people think it's "good". It's better than that burned crap Sonnys peddles, but it's not even close to being good southern BBQ.

Yea right.....

It's Chitty BBQ. Just because Guy Fierrie was there and it's in walking distance from SSI people think it's "good". It's better than that burned crap Sonnys peddles, but it's not even close to being good southern BBQ.
Had no idea he was ever there.

I can't say I've ever had anything I didn't enjoy and I used to be down there weekly bringing pax to Sea Island.

On field- Tampa North Airpark, Winter Haven Gilbert Field, Ocala, Williston X61, Lakeland. Crystal River (a 7 minute walk from the ramp)
Winter Haven Gilbert Field restaurant is currently closed, but they are "talking" to interested parties to reopen asap.

Bartow (KBOW) is open again for food," Nini's Landings " Run by a great family, good simple food at the right price, great ATC, great FBO, fly in park on the ramp within yards of the restaurant.

Lots of other places in central Florida, some already mentioned.

Plus,
Albert Whitted, Sebring.
And Venice ...take a walk to Sharkys on the beach, only issue with Venice keep your wits about you for the jokers who ignore any pattern or active runway etiquette....they attack from all sides without warning !

Had no idea he was ever there.

I can't say I've ever had anything I didn't enjoy and I used to be down there weekly bringing pax to Sea Island.

Next time you come down take a drive to Gary Lees Market/BBQ. It's on 17 just west of Blythe Island. Bout 15 min from SSI.

If you like Sushi, Fancy Qs is about a 2 min farther walk from SS BBQ. It's in Redfern Village.

Next time you come down take a drive to Gary Lees Market/BBQ. It's on 17 just west of Blythe Island. Bout 15 min from SSI.

If you like Sushi, Fancy Qs is about a 2 min farther walk from SS BBQ. It's in Redfern Village.
Deal. I'm always down for BBQ.

I don't eat seafood. It's an irrational fear. Never been able to explain it.

There are so many on airport choices,the best way to discover them is to go fly,don't forget to report back with your opinions.

Deal. I'm always down for BBQ.

I don't eat seafood. It's an irrational fear. Never been able to explain it.

Choot me a PM and I'll pick you up if your down weekends or after noons.

Back