Fixes

HPNFlyGirl

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iBrookieMonster
Do you know of any fixes that are named after people you know?

Pinnix and I were driving back from TTA the other day and we were talking about some ATC stuff. I told him that my neighbor was an ATC'r at RDU and his name was Preston. Justin then said "Oh they have the IF for 23R named after him." So today I ran into my neighbor and asked him and he said "Yes. It is true. The IF for 23R at RDU is named after me."

I thought that was pretty cool.

WINNI, the IAF (and 16.7 DME radar fix) for the ILS 04R at Boston was named by a guy who worked in the Plans and Procedures office at Boston Consolidated TRACON in Merrimack, NH....after himself (his last name was Winn).

I'm sure there are plenty out there!

FAVRE, POBER, and PHILB popped to mind, though I've had extremely limited personal contact with any of 'em and can't say I "know" them.

Of course, then there's the one named after you!

BROOK NC GSO*C*282.00/51.00 36-10-27.7400N 081-00-47.9900W

I've got one too:

KENTS MI MKG*C*076.00/19.00 HIC*D*169.00 43-14-56.2900N 085-37-29.5300W

But we don't want to leave anyone else out:

GRANT GA CSG*C*067.28/34.88 ATL*C*176.48/47.99 32-49-45.0600N 084-22-36.3900W
NICKK CA IPL*C*257.78/10.00 32-45-14.0300N 115-42-22.0100W
JAMES MO ANX*C*281.30 RIS*D*013.03/5.38 39-12-20.8700N 094-33-39.0900W
BRUCE RI PVD*C*186.25/13.17 ORW*D*110.00 41-30-23.9900N 071-23-24.8200W
CHIPP AR ELD*C*229.00/8.00 33-10-52.9900N 092-52-32.3100W
SPIKE CA LAX*C*081.00 SLI*C*022.00/8.00 33-53-26.3500N 117-57-27.5200W

Just be sure that while you're looking up all these funny fix names, you don't go direct to

SPLAT MD BAL*C*/7.30 ADW*C*050.85 RUX*LS*SE CRS 39-04-10.3800N 076-34-29.5300W! :rofl:

Just be sure that while you're looking up all these funny fix names, you don't go direct to

SPLAT MD BAL*C*/7.30 ADW*C*050.85 RUX*LS*SE CRS 39-04-10.3800N 076-34-29.5300W! :rofl:

That's funny, Kent!! I was thinking maybe that fix was over a particularly high piece of terrain in the area, but it's not:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=39.06955,+-76.574869+(SPLAT+intersection)&ie=UTF8&ll=39.069696,-76.574879&spn=0.008246,0.013218&z=16&iwloc=addr

Maybe it should have been named SPLSH.

I swear that there used to be a fix called HEAVN that we got sent to on the way back from FL to IL in a big metal tube. But I can't find it anymore! It was fun listening to planes being cleared to HEAVN!

I swear that there used to be a fix called HEAVN that we got sent to on the way back from FL to IL in a big metal tube. But I can't find it anymore!
That's because it's spelled HEVVN.

I was IMC, non-radar -- flying low because of headwinds, bouncing around pretty good, with two Argentinians in the airplane. Both were decent English speakers. One was on his first light airplane flight and probably not enjoying it much.

On all three headsets comes: "one-charlie-charlie, report PANIC inbound."

Almost as good as telling ATC "I have Whiskey."

ATC could send you to LIMBO 33-45-34.430N 118-27-00.730W and have you hold there.

Named for a dog: SNUPY 38-30-06.160N 122-40-17.430W

Named for Old Scratch himself: SATAN 43-23-09.130N 070-48-11.070W

A scary fix: SPOOK 38-37-57.000N 120-15-51.410W

And the TWEETY BIRD approach (RNAV RWY 16) into PSM, starting with the IAF to the missed:
ITAWT
ITAWA
PUDYE
TTATT
IDEED

Named for Old Scratch himself: SATAN 43-23-09.130N 070-48-11.070W

And the TWEETY BIRD approach (RNAV RWY 16) into PSM, starting with the IAF to the missed:
ITAWT
ITAWA
PUDYE
TTATT
IDEED

What you fail to point out is that SATAN is the opposite side of the T from ITAWT on the tweety bird approach. What are they trying to say? :dunno: :rofl:

I swear that there used to be a fix called HEAVN that we got sent to on the way back from FL to IL in a big metal tube. But I can't find it anymore! It was fun listening to planes being cleared to HEAVN!

HEAVN has an alternate pronuciation, more closely related to airsickness. Small wonder they haven't assigned that fix!

The MRB ILS RWY 26 ILS has HEVEN for the outer marker. Nobody checks in with the tower and simply reports "outer marker inbound" - everyone's got to be a comedian.

flyingcheesehead said:

SPLAT MD BAL*C*/7.30 ADW*C*050.85 RUX*LS*SE CRS 39-04-10.3800N 076-34-29.5300W!

Been there several times - it's on the approach into BWI. Once, riding the back of the big tube and listening in we got "Direct SPLAT." The flight crew thought it was pretty funny, too.

My favorite fix, of course, is:

BUDGE N 32° 53.3' W 97° 26.5'

Unfortunately the TACAN is on the fritz in my plane so I can't go visit.

The GPS 30 into Lee ( KANP ) used to have 2 fixes named after 2 pilots who were killed in a crash at the airport but for some reason it was changed.

That's because it's spelled HEVVN.

So Mari, I'm guessing you've been to HEVVN before? :)

A few questions that have come out of this:

1) Where is the Tweety Bird approach? I want to see that!

2) What do you guys use to listen in to the ATC and such while flying? Do you just use a hand-held or something?

3) How do you search for these intersections? I want to see if someone named one after me. :)

So Mari, I'm guessing you've been to HEVVN before? :)

A few questions that have come out of this:

1) Where is the Tweety Bird approach? I want to see that!

PSM RNAV (GPS) 16

2) What do you guys use to listen in to the ATC and such while flying? Do you just use a hand-held or something?

Com 1 and 2.

3) How do you search for these intersections? I want to see if someone named one after me. :)

It's all about the people you know. :cheerswine:

Thank you! Now that is hilarious! :)

Com 1 and 2.

Ok, I was under the (mistaken, apparently) impression that this was while actually flying in the big metal tubes, not just listening in while flying around in our little planes. The times when I'm flying as a passenger in those bit ones, it sure would be neat to get to listen in to what they're saying to tower, ATC, etc. If you had a hand-held I figure you could do it, although not without violating the "turn off all devices" rule. Just start off on ground (or tower, if you start at ready for takeoff) and follow frequency changes accordingly.

It's all about the people you know. :cheerswine:

Apparently I need to know more people! :)

Ok, I was under the (mistaken, apparently) impression that this was while actually flying in the big metal tubes, not just listening in while flying around in our little planes. The times when I'm flying as a passenger in those bit ones, it sure would be neat to get to listen in to what they're saying to tower, ATC, etc. If you had a hand-held I figure you could do it, although not without violating the "turn off all devices" rule. Just start off on ground (or tower, if you start at ready for takeoff) and follow frequency changes accordingly.
On United you can (often) listen to ATC on Channel 9. It's at the pilot's discretion.

Apparently I need to know more people! :)
It's not the quantity, it's the quality! :) Just need to find the right one!

Actually, I use skyvector.com. You can type in an intersection name and it'll show you where it is.

Yes, theoretically you could have a handheld radio scanner or radio hidden between your thigh and the wall or hidden under a blanket on your lap while wearing ear buds in a way that the flight attendants can't see them. And theoretically you could follow along from frequency to frequency as you get handed off. But remember that theoretically a scanner hidden in such a way cannot really pick up the transmissions from the ground, only those that your plane transmits and those transmitted by planes near you. Also note that having a receive-only scanner will theoretically go over easier if caught than if you had a device that could transmit.

Someone I know, decided after asking 15 different SWA CA on different flights, and them all saying that that person could use a scanner starting on the ground, (no 10K rule) decided to stop asking for permission. That person I know is able to follow along until 35,000 feet on their cheap scanner, and then gets contact again on the descent (usually by looking up the appropriate freq ahead of time).....

Today, I was returning from T82 (Fredricksburg, Tx) with a familiar passenger on board. While inbound on the Texann3 arrival, I overheard ATC give a crossing altitude to another aircraft at a fix called BRKMN (on the Rice arrival).

Just to be sure, I asked ATC if in fact the fix was named after a certain popular Houston Astro 1st baseman. After receiving an affirmative, I turned around in my seat to see that fix's namesake, totally asleep, mouth wide open, and snoring louder than our PT-6-41's!

Got to admit- it was unusual, but many of the fixes on the various Houston arrivals are named after various local pro athletes. Some to the chagrine of the local pilot population (ie- CARRR - former flop QB for the Texans).

Identifier: DRUNKName: DRUNKLocation: 42-04-54.150N 070-39-22.830W

I thought this was hilarious

Geez, someone had football on the brain when they made that approach! :goofy:

Well, there are a lot of sports teams arrivals and departures in Houston. In addition to the TEXNN3 arrival (Houston Texans NFL Team), there is the RIICE2 Arrival (Rice University Owls), and the ROKIT9 Arrival (Houston Rockets NBA Team) at Hobby (HOU). Over at Bush (IAH) there is also the STROS4 Arrival (Houston Astros MLB Team). I thought there was a COUGR arrival at one time as well for the University of Houston Cougars, but I guess that arrival's been decommissioned.

I had an IR lesson last night, and my CFII took the initiative to put together a course that looked like a low-alt enroute chart, and just happened to fit on my kneeboard. The course I was to follow utilized the Badger and Timmerman VORs, and The Hartford NDB, along with some fixes and procedure turns.

The intersections were called AREYU, HAVNG, FUNYT. The answer was :yes: and :no: - the VORs worked well, but the NDB confounded me. :mad:

He gets some points for creativity! (As well as safety, as he put "For Training Purposes Only" on the mini-chart, as the intersections were fictitious.) Anyway, it was a nice touch that he took the interest in doing something like this.

When I was in college I had a friend named Jill, who we all affectionately called "Jilldo" (contraction of "jill" and "dildo"). One day I heard on the radio a controller clearing a plane to JILDO intersection, I about died laughing. I showed her the intersection on the chart but she just looked at me and said "huh whats that."

"Our Union is now complete; our Constitution composed, established, and approved. You are now the guardians of your own liberties. We may justly address you as the decemviri did the Romans, and say: "Nothing that we propose can pass into a law without your consent. Be yourselves, O Americans, the authors of those laws on which your happiness depends."

Samuel Adams, August 1, 1776

Stan, the Constitution wasn't drafted until 1787...

One of the Disney park airports uses Donald's 3 nephews.

Back