Fixed trike and wheels pants at Gastons

Fastglas

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GK
So this thread isn't directly related to the Gaston's annual fly-in, but thought it was relevant to the category so sticking it in here.

I have been thinking about doing a quick trip up to Gastons this week. I've never been before and since I have some time off the last half of next week, I thought we'd fly up and do some trout fishing.

I have a fixed trike gear configuration and wheel pants on my aircraft and am not sure how it'll do on the grass runway. I've landed on grass before during training but not in my current aircraft -- a Glasair.

Can anyone describe for me what I should expect in terms of smoothness of the runway at Gaston's? I have this nightmare sequence playing my head where my aircraft flips over as the front wheel hits a hole in the runway -- or, less devastating, that I lose my wheel pants altogether.

I'd appreciate the Gaston's experienced among us to provide your feedback.

Thanks in advance.

The grass is kept mowed pretty short so wheel pants won't be an issue because of that.

I suppose an occasional hole is possible, but in the 10 or 11 years that I have been doing it, I haven't seen one.

Unless your wheels are real tiny, I don't think you will have any problems.

As for smoothness, it isn't particularly rough, but be forewarned, it isn't particularly flat. There are a couple of dips and humps that tend to surprise people the first time or two they encounter them.

Also, it is one way in and one way out. Land on 24 and take off on 6.

Last edited:
Don't go if it's wet. Find out beforehand what the conditions are or at least monitor the rainfall in the 2 days before.
There are no holes that will grab and flip your airplane.
The runway is not dead smooth nor perfectly level. Usually I land a bit too far to the north, then get a slight catapult and then land again...whereas if I landed nearer the cottages I did not notice that.
Oh, and get on down...go between the trees - if you top the trees then force it down you might overrun.

Was at Gastons last Sunday. Mid field it is a little rough, but not bad. Smooth enough the bumps in the middle are less than the turbulence in the sky was worse. Just keep back pressure on the yoke when on the ground...

Looks like most with pants and the rest retrac...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
Don't do it! You'll die! <jk>

I see plenty of 170's and 180's landing at Reklaw on turf with their fancy wheel pants and 6X6 tires, so you oughta be fine....

Long as it's dry... and mowed.

Just re read the OP, there was a glasair in our party ... High winged pre 2x2 sportsman example. We also had a c170.. A polished beauty...

None of us had any issues with the strip... Other than I couldn't find it for some reason ... Just look for the dam...

Thanks for the help. And Brian, thanks for the proof (picture).

Looking forward to fishing now.

Back